Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a dealership today in Forks and a majority of there inventory was all 4-Strokes.And the Guy there said the 2-strokes have really faded out. How much longer do You think it will be until we cant even run the 2-Strokes?

·
Registered
275 Posts
i don't think i'll see that in my time but more then likely will see at some point where every new sled is a 4 stroke

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Originally posted by Jorgy84
[br]i don't think i'll see that in my time but more then likely will see at some point where every new sled is a 4 stroke
Just curious as to how old you are??

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
I would be very surprised if 4 strokes took over completely ever. People who love 4 strokes only want to look at the innovations being made to lighten up 4 strokes. But people looking at both sides can see that 2 strokes are quickly taking away all the 4 stroke advantages. Sleds are unlike other powersports. Theres a place for both 2 and 4 strokes.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
One word "E-Tec".

So when we have a direct inject, low oil consuming, good fuel economy, high powered, LIGHT WEIGHT engine that can compete with a four stroke in every way and is better in most why would we change?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Originally posted by xtralettucetomatoe580
[br]One word "E-Tec".

So when we have a direct inject, low oil consuming, good fuel economy, high powered, LIGHT WEIGHT engine that can compete with a four stroke in every way and is better in most why would we change?
One acronym "USEPA".
Two Words "Greater Reliability".
Three words "Clean Air Act".
Eighteen words "They will stop making them in the next 10 years when USEPA cranks down even tighter on emissions."

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Well its been proven that 2 strokes can run as clean as 4 strokes. So does that mean all sleds will cease production in 10yrs?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Originally posted by MonsterJay
[br]I would be very surprised if 4 strokes took over completely ever. People who love 4 strokes only want to look at the innovations being made to lighten up 4 strokes. But people looking at both sides can see that 2 strokes are quickly taking away all the 4 stroke advantages. Sleds are unlike other powersports. Theres a place for both 2 and 4 strokes.
you nailed it here monsterjay

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
i Think that it wont be long before they stop producing 2 strokes. Years ago i heard 2006, and that 2006 would be the end of the banshee. That was correct on the quad, but theres still a majority of 2 stroke sleds. My guess would be within the next ten years. EPA standards are always getting tighter and tigher.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
[br]Well its been proven that 2 strokes can run as clean as 4 strokes. So does that mean all sleds will cease production in 10yrs?
It's only been proven they can meet current EPA standards. They are not as clean as 4-strokes. As the regulations get tighter, which they are scheduled to do, the 2-strokes will have to change once again in order to meet the revised regulations.

If we continue to have no snow in Europe and 3/4 of the US and Canada we won't need too many sleds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Actually:

84.9 > 278.8
EMISSIONS. The carbon monoxide (CO) emissions of the 2-stroke Evinrude E-TEC V6 are over three times less than that of a comparable 4-stroke Mercury Verado.

Originally posted by Offshore24
[br]
[br]Well its been proven that 2 strokes can run as clean as 4 strokes. So does that mean all sleds will cease production in 10yrs?
It's only been proven they can meet current EPA standards. They are not as clean as 4-strokes. As the regulations get tighter, which they are scheduled to do, the 2-strokes will have to change once again in order to meet the revised regulations.

If we continue to have no snow in Europe and 3/4 of the US and Canada we won't need too many sleds.

·
Registered
508 Posts
hey i watched that thing abou e-tech on the outdor channel! you see them capsize the other boat in that tug of war?

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Offshore do you REALLY think that the next round of EPA regs is only gonna hit the 2-stroke?? My God people wake up!! It's not the EPA and leftist libersls plan to just get rid of all 2-strokes, it's ALL recreation vehicles (snowmobiles, ATV's, PWC's ect.) because to people in San Francisco they're not a necessity, they are something EVIL!! Jesus were all you sleeping in November?? If you need a little reminder we now have a Demacraticly controlled house and senate, and in two years barring some kind of miracle we're gonna have a liberal demacrat in the whitehouse, which means the EPA is gonna be like a pit bull off its chain. Ten years ago the thought of a 4-stroke sled or ATV was laughable, its not now is it?? If you think ten years from now the thought of NO snowmobiles or ATV's is impossible, just keep your head in the sand. For the last 12 years we had a republican controlled house and senate that was able to keep the EPA in check, we no longer have that. All these rules about noise and pollution were just the start, what's gonna happen when they start closing off PUBLIC land out west?? You don't think it can happen?? Just look at Yellowstone!! We're so busy fighting amoung ourselves about 2 vs 4 stroke that by the time some of you people wake up it's gonna be too late!!!!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Wow, I'm not one for all the politics, but well said and good point

·
Registered
831 Posts
Whether you like what offshore said or not, he is on target.

Pollution, noise, politics!

It is here, it is going to stay and we need to get used to it, or lobby to change the rules.

Till the rules are changed, the 3 cycle will become a much sought after dinosauer.

I am sure that the reg will come out that after such and such a date, new 2 cycles will no longer be manufactured.

Eventually, a good running used 2 cycle will be much sought after and will bring with it, a premium price!

Bulldog

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
stud calm down. phasing out internal combustion engines isn't going to happen, ever. The fuel source may change but the engine will still be there. No, I wasn't asleep in november. There's a little thing called the economy that has to be considered at all times, whether you're a clinton or a bush. It's the unfortunate truth that our world revolves around oil and internal combution machines. Until such time that we start building hydrogen cracking plants and come up with efficient alternative fuel sources we're at risk. Closing open land and potential trail areas is a real issue. I don't think anyone would disagree with you on that. Don't worry about SanFran, it's going to be under water in a few years.

·
Registered
757 Posts
2 strokes will live forever....even the emissions people like the smell.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Well. Think about it like this. My MXZ causes more polution than my dad's Dode Ram. Now, what is a 5.7 liter ram in cc's? A LOT BIGGER THEN 1000. What is it, like 9-10,000 cc's?

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I'm not talking about phasing out internal combustion engines, that would be an inconvience to all the "soccer" moms who haul their one or two kids around town in an Escalade, Hummer, or Suburban!! I'm talking about the phasing out of anything they(the far left) deem unnessacary ie. snowmobiles, ATV's ect. Bulldog hit the nail on the head with lobbying, how much money do you think the big 4 have put into lobbying vs sponsoring race teams?? And yes Offshore you are right about closing lands being a touchy issuse, but look who's in power now, there is NOTHING to stop them, the only 4 manufacturers we have left are doing NOTHING, a liberal congress isn't going to do anything, WE as snowmobilers are doing NOTHING about it except arguing about the "wave of the future"!! Well in two years when the future arrives it's gonna be too late, they already have our nuts in a vice, its just a matter of turning it now. When they start closing public land out west (which they've already proved is on their agenda) it will start a domino effect!!

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
2 strokes are safe until at least 2012. By then there will be a lot more tech in them wth stronger CPU's to controll everything. They will be as clean as 4 strokes. 2 strokes will be around as long as sleds are.

It really blows having to deal with all the American political b.s. up here in Canada too.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts