Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much oil should my sled be using? Summit 700.
I used 1.5 gallons of oil and 31 gallons of gas to go 220 miles.
This seems like a lot of oil to me. I get about 6.5 - 7 mile per gallon of gas. What is the normal ratio on sleds? On my outboard engine I run about 50:1 ratio. It looks like my sled is using about 20:1.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
My T-Cat doesn't use half that much oil.
The excessive use of oil might have something to do with your poor gas mileage too. Sled shouldn't need anything more than a 50:1 ratio.

Not a skidoo expert but I know a couple of guys who average in the 9mpg range on the trail with there 700 summits.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,
I am still breaking in the engine and the dealer has done some service work and said the gas milage will go up after break in. I ride mostly off trail so I don't expect to get much more than 8 mpg. He also said that the computer will advance my ignition timing at abut 350 miles. I wonder if the oil injector is controlled by the computer also and it is running rich during break in? Any suggestions?

Dennis

·
Registered
227 Posts
From what I've seen from my friends DOO's they don't use much oil. I believe less than my Poo. 220 miles/quart of oil.

·
Registered
227 Posts
oops, that would be using 19 gal. of gas. 11.7 mpg. on my 800.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My dad has the 2000 summit 700 and i've got the 2001 800, we both use about 2 litres of oil for a tank of gas. Last year we were around 1 litre of oil/tank of gass, i was guesses around 100:1 but we asked the dealer to increase it a little, so now we are somewhere between 75 and 50:1 Hope that helps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
How would you adjust the oiling rate? I have not had the chance to figure out what I am using but I seem to use more than what my friends use. I have a 99 polaris 700

1 - 9 of 9 Posts