Snowmobile Fanatics banner

How much should I sell our snowmobile/trailer for?

5K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  meburdick 
#1 ·
Long story short, my dad unexpectedly passed away last year and it was his snowmobile. My mother and I have no use for it, so it's time to sell it and get it off our driveway. It's a 1997 Polaris Indy Trail Touring (IFS Xtra, Extra-10?? <-- don't know what that stuff means haha). It has 7446km on it, and I don't know how to find out the engine size or anything else, . The model # on the side silver plate says 0972262. It runs great, the seat has no rips and has a backrest thing, along with a great fitting cover. Both keys are available, it has the manual in the back pocket still, everything is working great. We're also selling the double trail (North Trail brand, it's open so no cover on top), and it is in great shape too. Along with the snowmobile, we will be selling a sled (cost $400) to tow behind it to carry things with you, the helmet, boots, jacket and snow pants, etc.
How much should we sell it for? We don't want to get ripped off, but I have minimal knowledge of snowmobiles.

Any other questions or anything let me know. I need all the help I can get.

Thanks.

Grass Tree Lawn Yard Plant
Vehicle Auto part Car Engine
Vehicle Automotive exterior Roof Tree Yard
Land vehicle Vehicle Asphalt Tree Car

See less See more
#2 ·
id start at 900 and let people beat u up too a 700$ min

#4 ·
Kate, sorry to hear about your father.

That sled is a 440 fan cooled touring sled. Great for someone that's not into going real fast and wants a reliable machine.

A nice 2 place aluminum trailer with salt shield would be able to get about $1,000 by its self around here.

The sled in good condition I'd say a fair price is in the 7-1000 range, possibly a bit more if you find someone looking for that style sled.

#7 ·
It is a 1997 so it is a 488 fan and not a 440, little more power but equally reliable. My dad had one just like it up until last fall when he sold it.

That sled also has reverse and electric start, which make it more desirable. It's also in incredible shape for the year. Also being that you are in Canada, and Ontario at that, the price of a machine like that in it's condition and the fact that there is a pretty high market value for those types of machines, I would probably ask $2500 for the sled, $1000 for the trailer, and $250 for the sled during the winter, that would leave you some room to haggle with potential buyers. During the summer, I would ask $2000 for the sled and the same price for the trailer and sled. You should also advertise it as a package deal that way you don't have one or two pieces sitting around after causing issues selling.

Anyone that is into ice fishing, or has a cabin that they use in winter with a wood stove will buy that package up fast. It is a great utility machine and sled for hauling stuff around in the snow. Even a fur trapper would go after that. You shouldn't have much trouble selling it. If you really need it gone you can ask slightly lower prices and it will sell faster but I think you will have no trouble selling it for that out there come winter. Cash deal as others have said and local pick up, that way you won't have trouble with being scammed.

Sorry to hear about your father.

Reactions: NateP
#14 ·
You're right. My 97 sport touring I had back in the day was a 440, I didn't relies they put the 488 I'm the evolved chassis sleds instead of the 440 like the Indy used.
Your "Sport" was an Indy Sport. Indy is used in MANY model names and is nothing more than a reference to the independent front suspension. I have a 1998 Indy 440. That's the exact model name, and it's a liquid cooled sled. Everyone mis-labels their Indy XCF and Indy Sport machines as Indy 440's, and they are NOT the same.

That sled, here in New England, would command somewhere in the $800-$1000 range. The trailer would be about $500 more if it's 101x10, less if it's smaller. If it's 8x8, it would really only be able to sell for a couple hundred.

Add on the premium for Canada for sleds, and my guess is that it's a $2000-$2500 package deal with the sled being worth about $1800 on the top and the trailer managing up to about $800.

#15 · (Edited)
Your "Sport" was an Indy Sport. Indy is used in MANY model names and is nothing more than a reference to the independent front suspension. I have a 1998 Indy 440. That's the exact model name, and it's a liquid cooled sled. Everyone mis-labels their Indy XCF and Indy Sport machines as Indy 440's, and they are NOT the same.
Indy was not used in my sleds model name at all, the exact model name was sport touring.
Guess I should have called it the Indy touring chassis or wedge rather then "Indy chassis".. Your Indy 440 was an evolved chassis sled, and yes they are very different.
Though I find the name "wedge" to be a bit vague.

#6 ·
I agree with NateP. and start as high as 2 grand and im sure some people will talk to you down a bit but the Trailer should go no less than 6 to 700 bucks and the snowmobile most definitely no less than 800 bucks. Just so you know there will be some people going wasting your time sometimes and scams too...just blow them off and most importantly CASH only none of those chq or paypals sort of crap...cash only

Really sorry to hear the passing of your father...good luck selling the snowmobile and trailer. If you're not sure of anything please ask us and We'll help you out [thumb]

#10 ·
i notice shes from canada, dont forget prices are a touch higher up there. i would definately start high, you can always go lower, its awful hard to raise the price.
in my area i would not let the sled go for less the 750, the trailer 650, not sure what the trailer is, but id say right around 500 for any tag along, and also the misc gear another couple hundred. again this is my area in the states and out of season. in canada i would think start the package around 2000-2250 and go from there, maybe someone from canada can give better info.
its an extremely clean sled, and a good all around sled.

#11 ·
$1k for an uncovered trailer isn't worth it. You can get a covered trailer for just a few hundred more.

#13 ·
Not in Canada you won't.

#12 ·
Condolences for the loss of your father.

As other's have said, if you can hold on to it until the late fall, you will most likely be able to sell it for more, and there will be more interest. I would ask between 2-2250 for the package. Kijiji is the best place to list it, and is another good resource to get an idea of asking prices in your specific area

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.