Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new gas shock for my sled and it is very stiff, like it should go on my truck. my old one is worn so I have nothing to compare to. I weigh 180 and if I put my weight on it, it takes about 7 seconds to retract. Does this sound normal or is there something wrong???

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Yup, it should be stiff, that's so it asborbes your kinetic energy of your butt on the seat!

-Dean

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do understand how a shock works,sould it be this stiff for a snowmobile? It is as stiff if not stiffer than the shocks on my Z71 and I am quite sure it has mor "kinetic energy"

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
how often does ur Z71 come hammering down on sold ground at 50+ mph??

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
A soft suspension is not good... If you bottom your suspension, it is very hard on it. You bottom a soft suspension hard, and it WILL snap. Your shock protects not only you, but your suspension...

-Dean

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i know on mine the last few times i rode it the shocks were really bad, i ahve them off gettin rebuilt now, but even the little bumps i would bottom out on, and if i hit kinda hard (nothing like w/ a normal suspension, but kinda hard, not the hardest hit u can take...lol......makes no sense), icould feel the impact in my feet by where the skid bolts to the tunnel

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
It should loosen up some after the new shock gets broken-in with some miles on it. Sounds to me like all your other shocks are shot. You say you bottom out even on little bumps? That's not good at all. You should never bottom out if it's working properly for your riding style.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, when did I say I bottomed out? I have never bottomed out. This is something I have noticed a lot, someone will post a question and the responces get farther and farther from the actual question. And where did my other shocks come into question? all the rest of them have springs and are a little difficult to compress at this point.Here is another question I'll be interested how long it takes to get off track with... How heavy is the moon?
thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
we just start explaining stuff and ppl reply to what we have said, hence getting off topic, this one is still on the right topic, we talkin bout shocks, and what poor ones will do...hence why u need stiff good quality shocks..

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Originally posted by MegaMan
[br] Sounds to me like all your other shocks are shot. You say you bottom out even on little bumps? That's not good at all. You should never bottom out if it's working properly for your riding style.
exactly why i have em all off gettin em rebuilt right now

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Captain sarcasm, you should lighten up a bit. If you were a little bit more observant, you would realize Megaman was replying to ACG's statement, which is how a forum works. Not everyone replies to the first post in a topic. Nothing here is off topic, it's all about shock stiffness.

Lighten up a bit. People were throwing in their own experiences. I'm sure when ACG gets his shocks back from being rebuilt, they will be stiff.

I'll explain it for you though since you don't want any discussion.

Answer to question 1: yes it should be that stiff because a snowmobile suspension takes more abuse than a normal off the lot vehicle.

Answer to question 2: Put it in your snowmobile and ride. If the suspension isn't working, bring it back. I got both my suspension shocks rebuilt last year and they both took forever to compress, the suspension worked great.

At least they were talkin about shocks in this topic, at least nobody said "Maybe you should just buy a brand new sled, then it has proper shocks" or something useless like that.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
I always thought it weighed 405049 pounds.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
LOL!!

For those who aren't the brightest, the moon doesn't have a weight. It only has mass.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Thanks mr. technical. He asked the weight, so pretend the moon was reeled into the earth, then it would be in our gravity, and it would have weight. SO THERE SMARTY.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you polaris-man, that is the answer I needed(is the shock to stiff) not what my but causes the shock to do. I think we all understand what a forum is for,no where in all that was my answer, and do you think we would have gotten any closer as time went on? No. After I made my remarks we quickly got right down to the point which I asume the shop section of this forum is for, answers to technical questions. You must admit we get of the subject quite easy alot of the time and never help the person with the problem ,which I think the shop part of the forum is for. I sent the same question to another forum and got very direct answers which is exactly what I was looking for. Just for laughs though, the moon does have weight, it just doesn't have gravity effecting it as we do. thank you for my answer, NOW I cane go work on my sled

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
LOL

Things do tend to drift sometimes. Gotta take that with a grain of salt tho, it's human nature.

Sometimes u gotta yell at ppl to get them back in line tho [;)]

Good luck with yer new parts.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I thought this subject was deja-vu today...I see this was posted to snowest, and rec.sport.snowmobiles (my other two hangouts!) In addition to here.

-Dean

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I think we wouldn't get so sidetracked if we only had more snow! Or ANY snow for that matter.
Anyway, good luck with your new shock.

-Let it snow!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts