Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CAN YOU AND HOW WOULD YOU ADJUST THE OIL PUMP ON MY 94 XLT 580 ???ITS RUNNING SO LEAN IT WONT EVEN MOVE, IT JUST BOGGS???

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Bogg usually isn't caused by lack of oil. Usually if you have a lack of oil, the piston fails, scoring a cylinder.

To adjust the pump, there is a cable that lifts the oil pump lever when you hit the throttle. There should two marks on the lever and a mark on the oil pump. Align one mark on the lever with the mark on the pump at idle; pin the throttle and see if it is aligned at wide open. The cable has an adjuster nut, loosen the nut and turn the adjuster until the marks align. I choose to align mine at WOT as opposed to the mark at idle, it's more important to me to have adaquate oiling at wide open.

Your bog could be carbs (try cleaning them, making sure the pilot jet circuit and pilot jets are clean) or clutching (check for worn parts or a worn belt). If the belt is riding down into the secondary at all, you may be able to adjust the secondary to move it so it rides about 1/16 to 1/8" above the secondary...

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Just what BC Dan said. Some pumps only have one mark though. If yours is like that align it at WOT. Lean will usually bog and pop. Does it get better or worse if you put the choke on?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
are all cylinders running? are yo sure its a lean condition? maybe chokes hanging up? causing rich. but could use a good carb cleaning too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts