Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched this but I can't find what I need. I am looking for a how to or the best way to sync the carbs on my Ultra. I bought gauges with needles but they just bounce around too much to be useful. My bro-in-law has the mercury tubes but they are a pain in the a** I had a hard time with that. He is a mech. and he finally used his fingers to feel the slides were as close to the same as possible and then went by sound. (because apparently he knows what it is supposed to sound like [Comp2])

[Surrender]
That isn't good for me, although it runs good I am PARANOID because I burnt htis engine down before with a sticky choke. In fact, I bottom my chokes out now so they aren't ever going to do that again. ( I just pull 6 or 7 times when it is cold ) No big deal to me, it beats rebuilding it again.

[Wow] I'm rambling. So ya, what is the BEST way.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I use the cheepest way, fingers and time, besure the slide opens fully, you must check the front of the carb (engine side) not the front that so many others do

If you scraped your choke why not instal a primer, 2 shots 1 pull

·
Registered
137 Posts
IMO, the only way to do it accurately is to use the gauges. The mercury ones are a huge pain in the ass, but extremely accurate.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't scrapped the chokes, I am just afraid of them because they have hung up on me a few times. I am going to use them again this year. I think I will scotch-brite them lightly and lube them with a little oil before every season. I take my carbs off and clean them before each year anyway. I had heard from several people not to lube them, but I can't see what it would hurt unless the oil gets gummy.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess my bro-in-law new what he was doing. He did in 10 minutes what I was trying to do for hours.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Originally posted by TeamNFG
[br]I use the cheepest way, fingers and time, besure the slide opens fully, you must check the front of the carb (engine side) not the front that so many others do
Are you telling me that if I sync the carb while looking the carbs from the airbox side I'm wrong??? So you have to take off the 3 carb (yes its a tripple [:p]) with all the cables and adjust it on a table?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
airbox side wrong. Yes
you can still do it on the engine, if you are able to fit your finger around the needle at wide open and feel the bottom of the slide on the engine side, if it is flush with the carb body you are WFO, if the slide is hanging, keep adjusting the cable length, once that is done adjust slide synch at closed position so both slides react at the same time when you open the throttle.
But you have (or should have) flat slides since you are a triple, and are a different set up than round slides, but the same theorie stands

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
just make sure all 3 move at equal time,and all set at the same setting when idling

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Thanks, I'm will adjust it this way this year, maybe it will fix my bogging issue for quick start... I always adjust it from th airbox side, thanks for the tip NFG[;)]

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
i always use a drill bit to ensure they are both set at the identical height and adjust for slack accordingly. After I do this I throw the gauge on and usually they are so close i don't even bother trying to fine tune.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by MoJuice
[br]
That isn't good for me, although it runs good I am PARANOID because I burnt htis engine down before with a sticky choke.
Hate to get off topic but... how did your engine burn down due to a sticky choke?

·
Registered
48 Posts
i was wondering the same ting...cant burn up an engine with too much gas and too much oil and not enough air

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys are right, I'm confused. I was thinking it let in more air. Not sure how that works I guess. LOL

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
[br]
But you have (or should have) flat slides since you are a triple
Lots of triples have round slide carbs. In fact, probably most do.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
[br]But you have (or should have) flat slides since you are a triple, and are a different set up than round slides, but the same theorie stands
I don't know where you got the idea that all triples have flat slide carbs, but that is dead wrong! They didn't put flat slide carbs on a Polaris triple until the Triumph motor.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Originally posted by ibreakstuff
[br]Didn't the 99 XCR have flatslides? Either way - for sure the Centurion didn't have em!

Bryan
Yes. The XCR 800 always had flat slides.

The Centurion definitely had rounds. So did the TX 500.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
What's the drill bit size again? Isn't it 9/32? And that's on the front, correct? I made a sync tool with the tubing and antifreeze etc. I'm sure you guys have seen em. Thing didn't work for crap for me. I was going to try the drill bit trick.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Very easy to do by feel also. Just use the center as your starting point and work the left to the center then the right and you should have it. When I am real picky about it I use a wire and watch for it to move but still it is a little hard to watch all 3 at the same time. I also have an air flow meter as well as a mercury meter and I have found that doing it by hand for me is as accurate as using the gauges after syncing and comparing.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Originally posted by Triple650Indy
[br]
[br]But you have (or should have) flat slides since you are a triple, and are a different set up than round slides, but the same theorie stands
I don't know where you got the idea that all triples have flat slide carbs, but that is dead wrong! They didn't put flat slide carbs on a Polaris triple until the Triumph motor.
I have problems seeing past rotax's, I stand corrected, I guess that ski doo even ran tilitson (sp??) carbs in a 300 tripple in the 70's.....ohhh boy!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts