Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a 1997 mxz 670 and it hasnt been driven in 2 years so the guy said i should clean the carbs. after this summer coming up i will be taking it in to get eveyrthing cleaned on it but right now i just spent every cent buying the machine and want to drive it a bit before the snow is gone. so how do u clean the carbs? anyone know where the post was of how u clean the carbs with picutes included? thanks. also anything else i can do to make sure it runs clean and runs well? thanks

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
take em off pull em apart clean everything real good and try to remeber how they go back 's a starttogether.little short on the advice but hey its a start

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya im just affraid of the jets getting set wrong and it runs to lean. but my friend is showing me away so i odnt have to worry about the jets they will already be set

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Take them off, and get heavy duty brake cleaner. Pull the jets out and spray them. then, spray the carbs all over. DO NOT GET THE BRAKE CLEANER IN YOUR EYES!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a friend said all u have to do to clean the carbs is to clean the bowl then the throttle body. u dont even have to touch the jet needles. but a guy is gonna come over and show me how to do it the right way and best way and i will do it myself from now on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
cleaning
1) mark what side each carb came from (mag or pto side)
2) screw fuel/air mixture screw in until snug - counting turns as you go. Write down how many for later
3) dissassemble entire carb and put parts on a clean cloth.
4) using a piece of music wire or other stiff wire - probe all orifice holes in all the parts to break up varnish deposits
5) once done - spray everything down real good and allow to dry on their own - no compressed air
**if carb cleaner passes through everything you can be sure your pretty clean**
6) reassemble
** if you inlet needle has a rubber tip (viton) apply a little bit of oil too it so it doesn't stick too the seat initially**
7) readjust the fuel/air screw - tighten till snug then back out the correct number of turns
8) put the correct carb on the correct side and you should be home free

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks a lot but i already did it a couple days aso sorry lol but i still appreciate all th time u took to write that out. me and my friend did it and it runs fine. thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts