Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, can anyone explain what is the benefit or down sides to different Stud #s and patterns?
I ask this because I picked up a used track this summer for my 97 XLT ltd 600. the stock track was about a 3/4 lug and I got a steal on a new/used track 1 inch lug and studded. I did not count them but I am assuming it has 144 or more. most tracks I see use a V type formation
where mine is in more like rows of has rows of I think 5 3 and 4.
I am in NE Ohio so snow conditions range from 0-12 inches and usually ice.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
its 48 studs per row per round. so if you have 2 studs per lug average then its a 96 stud count. that is for a 121 track.

for the average trail rider 196 studs or less, i personally put them down the center lug, 196-244 then i would start to put some on the outside of the rails.

i do not like studs on the outside of the rails for the average trail sled becuase that is the most vunerable to tear outs, and its the least likey to do any penetration unless you have wheels on the outside. if you do have wheels out there then studs to the outside like that can make a sled push or harder to make the corners, so then going to a more aggressive carbide might be needed.

i also like double stud backers on the newer taller lug/stud tracks. the taller backers offer more support for each stud making tear outs less likely. would rather bend a stud then tear one out.

if i had a trail sled that did not have cooler in the tunnel above the rails, i would remove track clips and stud every row right under the rail and then put the rest of the studs in the typical v patter. under the rail is where you will have the most penetration!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, I was thinking I may remove the ones on the outside. I would say this track has at least 144, maybe more, and I probably don't need them. most if not all my riding is back yard/Field and woods, and if we are lucky to get enough snow, down the roads a few times!
I do have a few creeks to cross and other rocky areas, this is where I am afraid of tear outs. this track definitely hooks up compared to last year!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
im in NW pa and im sure youre conditions are close to mine, assuming i get more snow as im closer to the lake. anyhow.
ive found to many studs really dont bite you basically just sit on them in icy conditions, but before you go taking studs out, to few studs will alow the studs there to really bite and make them prone to tearing out, or atleast bending specially in rocky conditions. im with everyone i hate the studs on the outside as they will be the first to tear and when the do the take a heck of a section with them.
studding is a fine line and has to be based on rider weight and sled hp numbers, as well as conditions.
id stick with 144, i ran that on my 93 xlt and it lasted me for many miles

1 - 4 of 4 Posts