Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to drop and roll my chain case for track clearence...my sled is 96 ultra. what is the step by step procces? and of course some pics would be more than helpfull[;)] and please i dont need advise from some one who "thinks" they know how to do it. thanks for any help guys

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
I had someone ask me to do it, and they sent me the instructions. It uses a template to reposition the driveshaft, and you replace the chaincase with a different one.

If I can find htem, I'll post them for you.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Just like what ugly old poo kid said, find a chaincase that's the length you want(usually about 2-3" longer) do some math and figure out where you want the chaincase and how far back/down it is from the original position. Then cut some new holes and bolt your driveshaft back in. Many people also make a support plate for the PTO side of the bulkhead.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks that would be great poo kid

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
powersledder said:
Just like what ugly old poo kid said, find a chaincase that's the length you want(usually about 2-3" longer) do some math and figure out where you want the chaincase and how far back/down it is from the original position. Then cut some new holes and bolt your driveshaft back in. Many people also make a support plate for the PTO side of the bulkhead.
Exactly.
I will add that I think this IS one of those jobs that you really need to know what you are doing, or you'd better pay some one to do it.
Get it wrong and you can become very mechanically screwed quickly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Lots of work. Make sure you know what you're doing. Check Snowest too. Many mtn riders did it it before the days of the big tracked sleds [1990's].

Also check here for a kit review--

http://snowmobile.off-road.com/snowmobile/review/tison-performance-products-extended-rolled-chaincase-22929.html

·
Registered
634 Posts
ok so if i role the chain case, wont i have to do some remounting on the rear suspension? If the drive axle is moved back then isnt that going to make the track loose? Or can you make up the slack in the track adjusters on the skid?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The chaincase to use is from a 98 RMK. I have never done it but I know a guy who did it to his prostock 1000 speedrun sled so he could run 10 tooth drivers.
Riley

·
Registered
481 Posts
polarisguy23 said:
ok so if i role the chain case, wont i have to do some remounting on the rear suspension? If the drive axle is moved back then isnt that going to make the track loose? Or can you make up the slack in the track adjusters on the skid?
Yep you will have to remount the suspention back or down just like you did to the axel! Myself I wouldn't want the head ack's[sick]

·
Registered
634 Posts
I dont think it would be to bad. Just a lot of dickin around. and my tunnel already has a ton of wholes in it from putting in the edge skid.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Huge project! I did my dragon over the summer. Used Holz racing products' kit. Install took me about forty hours taking my time. If you're not a mechanically inclined don't even start. But if you are you'll be ok, just take your time.

Here is my topic on my install. Different than your sled, but it gives you an idea on what it involves.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2323070#post2323070

1 - 12 of 12 Posts