Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend has a MXZ 583 with the rads right under the seat and he has 192 studs. well had. we were driving and one came flying straight up and into the rad. so there is a huge hole and he was wondering if you have any suggestions. we tried rad stopper but the hole was way to big. we are gonna try JB Weld next. any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Either solder or brazing should work. If the hole is big you might want to stuff a small piece of aluminum in there before covering it up with said solder or brazing.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
The only way to repair you heat exchanger is to pull it out and take it to a person with a TIG welder (prefered) or an aluminum core MIG welder. Once welded you need to presure test it, if it looks good sticker back in

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
teamnfg is right happened to a buddy, but i didnt wanna weild it so he got someone else to who did a crap job, but the rigth way to do it is weld it up.

·
Registered
539 Posts
he has heat exchanger/tunnel protectors on it right?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not sure what u mean? is there suppost to b something protecting the heat exchangers?

·
Registered
539 Posts
YES!
if you are running studs in your track with tunnel mounted heat exchangers (all liquid cooled bombardiers use tunnel mounted heat exchangers), you need to mount a set of heat exchanger protectors on the heat exchangers...otherwise the next large jump your bud takes, the studs are going to tear another hole in the tunnel mounted heat exchangers when the suspension bottoms out. the protecters keep the track/studs away from the heat exchangers.
any sled running studs needs tunnel protecters to prevent studs from hitting the lower side of the tunnel when bottoming out. this tears up the bottom of the tunnel and dulls your studs. the liquid cooled bombardier's need the protecters even more do to the tunnel mounted heat exchangers on them.

i suspect the bottom of your buds tunnel is already badly damaged from "stud rash"
Polaris uses heat exchangers mounted on the bottom of the running boards but they still need tunnel protectors on them to prevent "stud rash" on the bottom of the tunnel. the running board mounted heat exchangers ocationaly get tore up from rocks/trees etc...the bombardier tunnel mounted heat exchangers don't get tore up from rocks/trees, just the ocational stud that tears out of the track or by some fool who has no heat exchanger protectors and bottoms out the rear suspension with studs in the track.

·
Registered
539 Posts
BTW
a rad uses air flow through it to cool motor coolant (like your car).
a heat exchanger uses a substance other than air (snow or water etc..) to cool motor coolent
the two motor coolant coolers are totaly different devices.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good to know i will tell him to gt some tuinnel protectors because he did fix the hole. thanksd a lot for the long post explaining it appreciate it a lot snowproe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts