Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom tried to come snowmobiling with me my dad and brother 2 years ago and well she fell off the back of my dads Ultra. Woops 1
Then last year we went up to the up and bought my mom her own 2001 sxr 500 really nice all matching gear. We went with my uncle and cousins. Well we took two trucks two trailers and 4 selds. My mom had never pulled a trailer before so for 6 hours i rode with my mom in one truck and my dad and brother in the other All the way to newberry Mi up. Well my mom had a ear pluged or infection or something like that so she felt really tipsy. My dad just said here is the gas and brake. I tried to explain some more but no luck. She tipped over my dads viper cimbing a snow bank while ridding along the road to the trail from the hotel. woops 2 and my mom rode only about 35mphs the whole 3 days. She felt like she was going to fall over the whole time. On the 6hr. ride home she even thoght the trailer was going to tip over. I rode the sled at 50-65 mph and tried to get it to just tip a little but it was next to imposible. My only solution is get woodys dolly runers, Any other ideas?
help
sorry about the long post

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Huh, does she have fun while she is riding? I've tried and tried getting my wife to join in on my favorite winter hobby. She has a million excuses. IF she has fun the just let her go her own speed and cross your fingers lol. Did anyone explain to her how to ride a snowmobile? Not as easy as jumping on and going. Maybe a snowmobile safety course lol?

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I agree with GotMud. She has to have fun otherwise she won't go. So don't push her, just let her feel it out. My mom started sledding when I was a kid. She started on a Safari 377 and went maybe 25 mph the first trip. Then as she got acclumated and had fun with us and her friends she slowly got better and the speed came. My dad then bought a Formula 583, big difference between the 377 she was riding. Well, she demanded a faster sled after my dad got it. Her excuse was she had to keep dad out of trouble, yeah right! Just let her ride around a little and get a feel for her sled. A farm field is a good place to start, get permission obviously!

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I think the dualies will do the trick.

Start her out on local trails without the speed complications. A little scenic vista cruising. If she's got to drive 6 hours to ride, you don't have much chance of her enjoying herself.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Maybe give her something like this to drive..

[attachment=48478]

Women are a funny creature, when they get something in their heads its pretty hard to convince them otherwise...[:D]

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When we went the first time to west branch and she fell off the back of my dads sled before she got her own. She felt that there were too many trees. Then the second time she tried riding She didn't have fun for shure because of feeling like she was going to tip over then actually tiping over and slowing my uncle down. Half the time My uncle just left the four of us in the dust and met back at the hotel.Now she dosent want to try it agian. the sled already has 96 studs

·
Registered
557 Posts
Sounds like maybe she's a little intimidated trying to keep up with such good sledders? Try getting her confidence up in an open field and teach her how to lean...etc?

·
Registered
83 Posts
You can't force someone to like something. Your chances of getting her back on a sled are slim. If you do, DON'T involve your uncle. Anyone she rides with must have the commitment and patience for her to learn. Your best bet to get her to try it again may be to combine it with another activity she likes. Ride the snowmobiles to a sledding hill or to see the Christmas lights. This way snowmobiling isn't the main focus and she knows she'll be doing an activity she enjoys.

As far as training someone to ride. Keep it simple, don't tell them too many things at once. The farm field is a great idea. Once they know where the throttle, brake and kill switch are; let them putt around and learn to use them. Then just keep adding in more skills one by one without pressure and plenty of patience. Trying to go from not riding at all to keeping up with experienced riders in one day is asking too much. Also, most people get uncomfortable having a group of people waiting for them. If it's just the two of you that would be a more comfortable situation for a newbie. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
when i got my girlfriend into the sport i let her go in a field. once she got that we went out on the lake. sadly at the end of the year the two of us were in a snowmobile accident. good thing she loves the sport or i would have to start over again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.