Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
277 Posts
Make the guy you bought it from produce some ownership paperwork for it. How do you know that YOU won't go to register it and it won't come up stolen???? I'd never buy anything that doesn't have a paper trail, unless brand new, obviously.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MNSLEDNECK56308 said:
Bring your bill of sale and you can get it in your name. Races sleds aren't registered.
By bill of sale you mean like a peice of paper he gave me saying like " I whoever sold this snowmobile to PeeWeeShooter for 1800$ ". I plan on driving it on trails after trail convertying it. Also this is happening in Canada.

· Super Moderator
11,873 Posts
It seems every place is a little different as to what you need to do to get it licensed/registered.

Here in ND, I had to have a bill of sale as well as a Manufacturers Certificate of Origin (paperwork from the Cat race department) to get my 06 SnoPro registered. Luckily the guy I bought it from had it and mailed it to me. If he had not, I would have needed to go through the Cat race department to get a new one...or so I've read.

Like was mentioned, check with your local transportation department to see what needs to be done. If they are nice, all you will need is the Bill of Sale.

· Super Moderator
11,386 Posts
My IQr had no source of ownership when I bought it. I had to get a noterized bill of sale from the previous owner and then have the sheriff fill out a vehical inspection report on it. I handed all that into the DOT and they made me a title for it.

· Registered
2,555 Posts
RMK-KING said:
My IQr had no source of ownership when I bought it. I had to get a noterized bill of sale from the previous owner and then have the sheriff fill out a vehical inspection report on it. I handed all that into the DOT and they made me a title for it.
That is also what I had to do for my Mod.

I do know that you will likely have to have a notarized bill of sale from the previous owner. Your department of transportation or department of motor vehicles will know what you need to do. Each state in the U.S. is different and I'm guessing the same for the provinces. In fact, I've gotten different answers talking with different people within the same office.

· Registered
67 Posts
here in Nova Scotia, for a 4 wheeler I bought, I had to get 3 forms to fill out, one was for the person I bought it from to fill out, one was for me to fill out and one was for the RCMP to fill out after they ran the vin and it comes back clean.

· Registered
2,957 Posts
Here in Maine, all you need is a bill of sale ( unless its a car ), saying "I soso sell joe shmo one 1997 Ski-Doo MXZ 500 for the sum of $1450. VIN: 2345324B904509E. Buyer ( signature ) Seller ( Signature )"

· Registered
1,240 Posts
Follow FlatlandersSummit advice... if you don't have a title to start from, use the 'bill of sale' at the DMV to get one.. in AK, you don't know what you have there, but a bill of sale works here to get a title.... or just ride it like you stole it and enjoy the sled.

· Registered
2,447 Posts
aha. My cousin (in ontario) bought a 1999 mxzx 440 for $900 from a race team owner, sled was never registered, only raced. He went through HELL trying to get that thing registered/insured. you need alot of signatues, papers, and alot of driving to make it happen.

he needed a bill of sale (the " i sold blank to blank paper), needed to get a bill from skidoo that it was sold to thew original owner as a race sled when it was sold, had to go to a government building(not ministry of transp.) to get another paper to do with getting the title made and sled inspected, and searched that tunnel/chassis/motor vin #'s added up, and authorized it. then had to get another paper from seller saying he uatherizes he sold it to and autherizes as the original buyer (from skidoo race department) that he allows it to be regtistered, the got the title/ownership in his name, paid the fees and it was a pain.

What a sh*t show to get it done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.