Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im going out tomorow and its the first time we've actually got snow and i just got my new sled so i wanna start jumping. were gunna make some jumps and stuff but i dont want to kill myself. anybody got any tips?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Landing level(left to right) helps alot, if you have a landing try and have it so you land level with the landing. Don't try anything to crazy, like a 20 footer or something, the first few times. You will get the hang of it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Steady speed, not too heavy on the throttle, be ready for the landing. I'm sure someone else will give you more extensive tips, but that's the basics.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Just role over the jump a few times to get the feel for it and then slowly bring up the speed as you get comfortable. I dont think the landing ramp being 100% flat is as important as the take off because thats what will make you get in the air. If you have one side higher than the other you will have a crooked flying sled and all I can say is hang on tight, and just land on the one ski. It will happen many times so just be ready for that.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Biggest tip is get your speed situated before hitting the jump, then go up the face of the jump with *light* throttle on. Then let off in the air, and give it a quick braap as you land.

·
Registered
963 Posts
well i just went out tonight and if you are jumping drifts don't give it to much gas and then lay it on when you get up to it and your front will shoot up. keep the gas on until you are over it then lay off and your front will come down. as for actually fully jumping, get some good speed up to the jump and hold it threw the jump and when you are in the air let off a little and if your back is to far down brake. and if the ski's are going to dig in the ground give it gas to drop your back end more.

·
Registered
139 Posts
this was the first time i jumped my sled. all i did was stay a steady speed going up to the jump and when in the air and my sled stayed level.
[attachment=56882]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Make sure you give it gas right before you hit the ground or you'll end up like this. Hello handlebar![B)]
[attachment=56887]

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
I like to land on a downhill whenever possible. I usually come off a jump pretty hard, and while in the air I have to tap my brakes to bring the front end down a little bit.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
it's also good if you have a jump that is somewhat gradual as opposed to hitting a steep bump. it will allow you to be more in control as opposed to giving you and the suspension a shock as you hit it. and get off the throttle as you come off the jump. steady on the throttle up to it and then off the throttle as you leave the jump. the brake can help you get the front down a bit if you need it. start small.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Yea. If you don't power up and you don't have knee pads on, you'll have the foot runner in your leg. LOL!

Depending on the size of the jump, if it's small, with a small incline, pull up, and if you start seeing the sky, let off the gas, push forward, and if your high enough, and your still tilting back, hit the break.

Also, make sure you keep yourself balanced. This can be a big problem with new riders. Don't tilt yourself. And if you feel yourself tipping in the air, don't lean hard the other way. Lightly put weight on the higher side of the sled, if you rapidly do it, you'll fall the other way.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Just start small and practice. Only way to learn.

And do a search on here...plenty of stuff about it already posted...

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The technique you use for jumping varies depending upon what kind of a face the jump has and how much speed you carry over the jump.
If its a nice, smooth face and you can get a good run at it, you can just go at a steady throttle position. However, if the jump is just after a corner or if the jump has a kicker just before the lip, you will need to run at a steady throttle position and then just before you launch you will need to blip the throttle to keep the sled from nosing down on you.
If it noses down on you in the air, hit the gas to bring the nose up. If the front end goes high off the jump, tap the brake to bring the nose back level.
If you get a little crossed-up in the air, try to land a little nose-down and point the skis where you want to go, that SHOULD kick the sled back straight when you land.
Also, when jumping you should try to lift your feet about 2" off the running boards. This takes your weight off the sled and helps you jump farther. If you watch sno-x and motocross riders jump, you will notice their feet are often off the running boards/footpegs.
Also, when jumping do not keep your feet locked into the footholds. If you get pitched off of the sled on a landing and your feet are locked in, you can easily snap your ankle.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Take off and landings vary...
Hit the ramp too hard the rear compresses
rebounds too much... you might end up like this..
[galleryattach=2046]

·
Registered
112 Posts
you have to keep the sled level as you go through the air, but if you are landing on a slight hill it is best to have te sled land slightly nose down, i landed on a grade with the front end up in the air and it came down so hard i got bucked onto the hood.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts