Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have got the urge lately to make my 97' xc 440 really shine. So I went to walmart and picked up one of those mothers powerballs. So today I was stripping off some of the decals and tried using the powerball on the hood and it shines decent but does leave some light streaks. So I was just wondering how you guys clean your sleds? Once I am done with the hood then I'm going to try to make under the hood really shine. So if theres any products or methods or pictures of your clean sleds post it up!

cameron.demarlie said:
Well I have got the urge lately to make my 97' xc 440 really shine. So I went to walmart and picked up one of those mothers powerballs. So today I was stripping off some of the decals and tried using the powerball on the hood and it shines decent but does leave some light streaks. So I was just wondering how you guys clean your sleds? Once I am done with the hood then I'm going to try to make under the hood really shine. So if theres any products or methods that you guys swear by or pictures of your clean sleds post it up!
 

·
Registered
2012 Yamaha Nytro XTX
Joined
·
133 Posts
this isnt mine but its very clean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwb7jBR4LfU
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
I start off by cleaning the sled down with Windex and paper towels. Then I just use some good wax(Mothers) and give it a good wax job by hand. I usually put it on pretty heavy, then wipe it off with a clean microfiber towel until i have it all off. Then i give it one more wipe down with a new towel and call it good. I've done this every year i've owned the sled, and it shines like new.

This year I got bored and started polishing the aluminum under the hood with some Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish, and i can see myself in my clutch cover and exhaust shield. Its amazing how good a 12 year old 8k mile sled can look with a little bit of elbow grease.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OhioPolarisKid said:
I start off by cleaning the sled down with Windex and paper towels. Then I just use some good wax(Mothers) and give it a good wax job by hand. I usually put it on pretty heavy, then wipe it off with a clean microfiber towel until i have it all off. Then i give it one more wipe down with a new towel and call it good. I've done this every year i've owned the sled, and it shines like new.

This year I got bored and started polishing the aluminum under the hood with some Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish, and i can see myself in my clutch cover and exhaust shield. Its amazing how good a 12 year old 8k mile sled can look with a little bit of elbow grease.
Yeah that sounds like a fairly easy way to make it shine really good!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
632 Posts
I use Meguires Cleaner wax on the hood, wd-40 for motor cleaning, and Wizards Polish for the belt cover and exhaust. Usually just do it at the beginning and end of season, but slackin this year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,987 Posts
Don't forget the armor all for the seat, tank, and plastics.. It's very slippery, so it makes it easy to get my lard ass back and forth across the seat for leaning into corners!

Just be very careful not to get any on the grips or bumpers! When you pin the throttle, you'll have a very hard time holding on to the sled.. Same if you get it on the bumpers and try to lift or pull the sled by hand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,356 Posts
i use this blue diamond creme for all the aluminum. you just put it on and let dry a bit and wipe off and it just a shines. and i use meguires car wax think its number 7 or something and i use my slow speed orbital buffer 10 in and it polishes everthing. tunnel hood trail arms. anything i cant get with it i do by hand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,987 Posts
Heh, I just watched that video... First of all, he has no filters/airbox and no oil bottle.. Then that motor sounded boggy, and there was no oil smoke when he had it running.

I hope he fixed all that before he ever hit snow with it, or else he was in for a short ride.

Oh, and he had mad fingerprints on the windshield that he never cleaned up...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,194 Posts
pledge with a cotton soft 2 ply t-shirt. detailin' gear makes them. makes the sleds plastic shine like wax, but the snow comes off the hood much better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,951 Posts
I use wd-40 to get the nasty off. Makes it shine pretty good too under the hood. I like it to look clean bit doesn't need to shine too much for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,786 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Heh, I just watched that video... First of all, he has no filters/airbox and no oil bottle.. Then that motor sounded boggy, and there was no oil smoke when he had it running.

I hope he fixed all that before he ever hit snow with it, or else he was in for a short ride.

Oh, and he had mad fingerprints on the windshield that he never cleaned up...
The sad part is out of all those problems, I'm most concerned with the rap playing.

I use Turtle wax for the hood, mothers for the aluminum and Armor All for the other plastics once and a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
I use any kind of tire foam. Spray it on and let it sit for a couple minutes and polish it off. Works great on everything. A buddy of mine showed me this trick a few years ago and never used anything else again![thumb]
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top