Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to finish putting the engine back together and i cant remember how to measure ring end gap. The engine is a 93 lynx 340 fan cooled engine. Ray at associated crankshaft told me that the gap shouldnt be anymore then 12 thou. how do i measure this? also anything else i should know about putting the circlips in and rings? need help fast

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
use a piston to push the ring down into the bore a little. then measure the gap and file to get to desired spec.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Insert the ring from the top of the bore and use the top of the piston to push it into the cyl about 1/2" down, by using the top of the piston you are sure to get the ring square in the bore. Then take a feeler gauge set and find out which one fits. You will need a ring end gap tool to set it correctly. You can also use a points file too, break the sharp edges when you are done. Slight drag of the feeler gauge is what you are looking for the know the gap is set correctly.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i know this is stupid but i was told not to go smaller then 12 thousands on the end gap. in decimal form is 12 thousand .012 or is it .0012? thanks

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, i did some looking around on the net and figured it out. i went with .016 ring end gap to be safe and i have the whole top end together. i just need to put on the shrouding and intake and exhaust manifolds on. looking forward to fireing it up tommorw.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts