Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the crankshaft seal PTO side on a 1997 polaris indy 500, I know that I have to pull the clutch, can the seal then be pulled out and press new one in, or do I have to disassemble the engine and crancase?

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
You have to disassamble the engine and split the case.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
couldn't the old seal just be pulled out, and new one pressed or taped in, or does it sit in a groove between the 2 halves, and thats why it cant be taped in??

·
Registered
685 Posts
Its a fairly big job for a new guy, It took me from start to finish most of the day, like 6hrs. Dont rush it tho, u want to make sure you do it right...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have replaced just the seal with no problems.Drill 2 small 1/8" holes in the old seal and use a pick or awl to pop it out.Next fill the inside of the new seal with low temp grease and lightly coat the outside lip with RTV silicone.Start the top edge first so the outside lip fits toward the groove and with both thumbs push the seal as far as you can and finish the rest of the install with a 1/2" brass drift(carefully) it takes some patience but saves a lot of work
Just keep in mind if the seal is split it is most likely caused by a failing PTO crank bearing and the engine should be disassembled for inspection,but this will get you back on the snow

·
Registered
16 Posts
Those seals have a groove they need to sit in. In order to do it properly you need to disassemble the engine (split the case).

Any other way of installing a seal is wrong and your sucess rate of the seal actually working when your done is very low.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I always say if you are going to do it, do it the right way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts