Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
First, talk to some people that race already and ask all the questions you think of, even if they are stupid.
Second, the money and balls are most important, you can have a $1000000 sled that will vaporize the competition, but if you dont have the balls to use it, its worthless. It gets extremely expensive to race, figure with a top end sno-pro you might have to rebuild 3-4 times in a season...which gets really expensive if you arent winning.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
You can do it just for the hell of it if you don't *have* to win.

Like others said find someone you know that races and see if you can tag along with them for a race or two.

I would NOT go buying all kinds of stuff before you even try it. I would just get (or borrow/rent) a capable sled and the right safety equipment, then just enter a race in the beginner/novice class and see how you like it. You will know at the end of the day if you want to do it again or not.

Every morning I race I get nervous. Racing can get pretty intense. But then once you've ran a heat and have that f*ck yeah feeling in your veins all is well [:)]

·
Registered
214 Posts
man i was gun ho before i started racing got everything sled gear blah blah.. went out wrecked hard in practice and wondered what the hell i obligated myslef to... hated it whole first 2 weekend now i love it cant live with out it... so just a heads up... you might not like it at first, theres alot to learn....

who honestly rebuilds there race sleds 3-4 times a year?? not sayin you dont or some dont but i think its totaly unessasary as long as you run good gas and oil nad run correct jetting for weather(i suggest amsoil dominator).... id say check compression 3-4 times a year and go from there..... jsut my say on that anyways back to the racing help for this guy....

o and like ripperd sed... liek him i still get knots before every race when im linin up but when he pulls that flag its game time it all clears out....

you have anymore questions about gettin into it or looking for polaris sleds or set up tips, or gear or anything feel free to PM me..

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
The guys that win day in and day out certainly spend alot of money and do indeed rebuild their sleds quite often. But if you are out there to have fun first you can get by with only spending a couple of hundred a weekend and using an open trailer, etc.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
how do you starte racing. do you have to go to a track and get timed or what?
what type...snocross, drags, ovals, hillclimb, watercross, cross country....

Originally posted by ripperd
[br]You can do it just for the hell of it if you don't *have* to win.
You shouldn't be doing it unless its fun. [/quote]

Every morning I race I get nervous. Racing can get pretty intense. But then once you've ran a heat and have that f*ck yeah feeling in your veins all is well [:)]
It use to be really bad for me doing moto. Lined up against 40 other guys...slightly intimidating at first. Once I just kept telling myself "f those guys, I'm getting the holeshot" that nervousness went way down and I actually started getting holeshots.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Originally posted by LYSNE
[br]im thinking snow cross
and yea it would be for fun
find out what kind of organization has snocross racing near you. for us in the northeast the big one is Rock Maple Racing www.rockmaple.com

from them you can find out the specific requirements. you'll need a sled that will fit a class, safety gear, and a way to get it to and from races. that's the basics. that's what i'm doing this year. i joined Rock Maple, i think it was $80 for the year or something like that. then there is an entrance fee for every race i enter.

the most expensive part in starting up is getting a sled. look around and get a used race sled.

what you should really do ( and i didn't) is go to a snocross race somewhere near you and ask questions.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
MONEY!!! thats the all time thing you need.

you can do what we did to start out.. get a used race sled, a two place trailer works however you'll freeze your nots of working outside at the track. Lots of tools to fix the sled on the go, extra motor and chassi parts on hand. Your going to need memberships to whatever circuit you race. Also all the protective gear they require, thats another few 100.00 bucks. now you have a small chance and racing!

Next you need to get some practice and see if you even have a chance. You dont make a big pay out in SNO-x unless your playing with the big boys like Blair and what not.

Now once the season is over and summer hits, rip the sled down to nothing and go over the hole thing to make sure its ready for next yr.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
You can do it just for the hell of it if you don't *have* to win.

thats what all loosers say. haha lol.

but to be serious for a moment. some of the most fun I ever had was coming in seconds and thirds. showing up in an old dodge truck with an open place trailer or sled in the box. and to get a second or third was great. because a lot of the people I beat had more money in truck and trailer than I have in my house.

·
Registered
214 Posts
honestly a winning racer could find a way to win the mod class on a indy lite... rebuilding your motor 4 times a year is insane.. but i guess if ya run it super lean like these types of people can afford to do then i guess ya have too

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.