Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to stud the track on my '93 Arctic Cat EXT Z. How long of a stud should I run, we do ditch running, and then running down creeks etc... so it sees every type of surface. Do I need to worry about damaging the heat exchangers with say a 1 inch stud? How many studs should I go with on this sled the engine is a 580, and what is the typical procedure to doing this? I'm kinda new to this, so I would like to get some opinions before I start.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Do you know how long the lugs on the track are? Rule of thumb is quarter inch longer stud. I am not positive where you heat exchangers run on that sled but if the run under the tunnel you may want to get protection for them. I would run 144 studs.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i wouldnt run 144 studs for a 580 for his type of riding, maybe 96 or so, most 600s only run bout 96 studs for agressive riding, probably not less than 96 or u have a good chance of pulling a stud with the 580

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
He rides ditches and on rivers where there is potential for a lot of ice, i was going to say 96-144. I pulled a bunch through on my XLT this year and i had 96. I am going to 144 this year.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I would say 144 or more.

How to stud:
http://www.sabertraction.com/usa_cat4.htm

Stud chart:
http://www.sabertraction.com/usa_cat11.htm

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Actually you have less of a chance of pulling out studs with a higher number installed. With more studs, you have less of stess factor per stud.
I would go with 144.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Originally posted by ACEXLT
[br]Actually you have less of a chance of pulling out studs with a higher number installed. With more studs, you have less of stess factor per stud.
I would go with 144.
which is what i said....just the opposite way u did, "with less than 96 u have a better chance of pulling a stud"

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Like these guys have all said, go with 144 if you want to keep them in the track. Instructions are easy and the saber website or the woddy's website give excellent instructions on installation. Get a track cutting tool and sharpen it often while installing. Forget about getting a cutting pattern die. Just line em up by hand (gives you better scratch lines). Don't get too close to the edges of the track or windows, it'll weaken the track. Studs inside the windows help straight traction while those outside help cornering. studding the track means you will have to increase the length of ski carbide. Otherwise you'll push straight ahead in corners. Good luck.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
http://www.polarisfiles.com/snowmobile/tutorials/howtostud/howtostud1.asp

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I had 96 in my 600 last year and never pulled a stud through. We did have a pretty good snow year though. I'm also real careful when I cross roads, or have to go over a rock or two.....try to not spin in these locations.

I will be adding 24 more though for this year to bring me up to a total of 120. If you put too many studs in a lower hp sled, you end up loosing top end due to the increase in rotating mass.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Just look at the tutorial...the guy who wrote that was a sled guru....lol, i'd say 96 or 144, i've got 144 in my Triumph havent bent, broke, or pulled one through yet in the first 600 miles

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Hey TriumphoverU, its about time you showed up around here.......LOL

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Yeah, I made it back, been kinda busy this summer, rebuilt the engine in my car and now i have went back to school. God only knows why i decided to do this but hopefully i'll still have time to thumb through my beloved shop.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
I have 96 studs in my 2003 Pro X 600, I have 1400 miles on it, and I have broken one stud off. I think it happened crossing railroad tracks though. None have pulled through or bent though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts