Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got my ultra and i am trying to bring it back to stock. i think the timing is a hair off. when i put a timing light in the hole for the flywheel, what am i supposed to see? thanks

· Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
at one point when i was putting the triple pipes i got for it on i was playing with the timing. then i decided i didnt want to put the pipes on. i beleieve i changed it back, but it seems choppy kinda like a car does with bad timing. i remember lining up the stock timing marks but who knows. just a thought

· Registered
1,047 Posts
You need to find out what the original BTDC spec is from the factory and use a dial indicator to set a mark on the fly wheel or clutch in line with another mark on a stationary part of the motor. You then need to rev the motor up to whatever rpm the manufacturer calls for and check the marks with a timing light. It's the only way to be sure if things have been shifted from stock and not marked before the work was done. It may take you a couple of times before you get the marks dead on. Doing a good timing job can be a little time consuming depending on how accurate you want to be. Remember that having timing a little off can destroy a piston very fast.

· Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right. thats kinda what i was hoping that someone knew, i have all the tools to find out the degree, i just need to know what its supposed to be at. on the flywheel there are markings too.

· Registered
1,047 Posts
I never trust the flywheel markings until I have checked the timing with the dial first. I have used a section of coat hanger temporarily bolted to the motor and bent right at the clutch then scribed a mark on the clutch to get my two marks. Sharpen the hanger tip and you have two very precise marks to look for. Some people use a marker on the flywheel but that leaves too much room for slop as far as I'm concerned. I used the wire trick when I worked on sea-doo's and had to take the timing off the pto flywheel.

· Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well ive tried that and even got a degree wheel, because u had to time it for triple pipes. but when i put the coat hanger on it was vibrating back and fourth at the rpm SLP told me to set it at.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.