Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would you think my sled would do in the mountains? There is a few mods on my motor in my 2001 Arctic Cat ZR 800 121" with a 1.25 Predator track. (I will be getting the track soon before we go up to the mountains.)
Well, we are going up to Cooke City, Montana for 4 days of riding. Do you think my sled could make it through all that powder or not? We are probably gonna drive on trails and a lil bit off trails to.

·
Registered
353 Posts
thats hard to say depending how much powder there is at the time but that 121" is kinda sketchy

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a few pics and vids of the snow conditions andd snowmobiling in Cooke City today and yesterday. But, I guess all that can change in the next 2 weeks.

http://cookecitysinclair.com/news.htm

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
I don't think there are that many trails around Cooke City from what I have heard. Mainly trails out to play areas then they end. I'm sure y ou'll make it, not as far as a long track and will get stuck more.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think Polarisperson, SKS-Rider, and I are probably gonna be looking for more of play areas.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I would rent a mountain sled if all possible. I mean you are ready paying to go out there, whats a couple hundred more to make the trip done right. Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much is it to rent a sled a day? I am really not looking to do that though.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Your sled will do fine as long as you dont try to do any himarking. But for playing it the powder itll do fine with any decent rider.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
You'll do fine. I should start posting some pics up to show some of the stuff we do in the backcountry on 440's with 121's. Its all in the Rider.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I agree with halVORTEX, Youll have more than enough power, but be carefull with the throttle or youll have a hole to dig out of. Youll do fine up there, HAVE FUN.

·
Registered
348 Posts
exactly, it will do ok, its just how well you can handle the powder there are alot of 121's around here and having a 800, you will have plenty of track speed, the sled will be ok. Renting can be expensive and if you damage the sled well, thats really expensive so get the ins. if you do rent. ie cracked hood is bout 750.00 at a rental place. just my opinion nuttin more.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've rode with shorttrackers, i'ts all in the ability of the rider, just go and have a blast! bring a camera.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
what do you think people rode in the mountians in the 70's,80's. A 121 would have been considered a big track. Save your money and use your sled it will do fine, I think you know it will not be kicking ass, but you will learn to ride your sled. Some people who go out and get the baddest mountian sled really have no skill. Dosn't take much to point and shoot up a hill, but when you ride a sled like yours, you will get places by working your ass off and having a blast doing it.
Have fun

·
Registered
37 Posts
Originally posted by ArcticCat1
[br]How would you think my sled would do in the mountains? There is a few mods on my motor in my 2001 Arctic Cat ZR 800 121" with a 1.25 Predator track. (I will be getting the track soon before we go up to the mountains.)
Well, we are going up to Cooke City, Montana for 4 days of riding. Do you think my sled could make it through all that powder or not? We are probably gonna drive on trails and a lil bit off trails to.
I used to ride my ZR with a 121x1.5 track. I got stuck more than I do now with the 136x2. It does come down to rider skill, but if you are a lighter rider, you will have that in your favor as well. I'm 6-4 240 and it seems to go against me at times [xx(]

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Mr. Hankey
[br]
Originally posted by ArcticCat1
[br]How would you think my sled would do in the mountains? There is a few mods on my motor in my 2001 Arctic Cat ZR 800 121" with a 1.25 Predator track. (I will be getting the track soon before we go up to the mountains.)
I used to ride my ZR with a 121x1.5 track. I got stuck more than I do now with the 136x2. It does come down to rider skill, but if you are a lighter rider, you will have that in your favor as well. I'm 6-4 240 and it seems to go against me at times [xx(]
I am about 5'4" and I weigh about 120-130 lbs. So that is a plus I guess.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Originally posted by 700sks
[br]I've rode with shorttrackers, i'ts all in the ability of the rider, just go and have a blast! bring a camera.
We are definately bringing a camera and getting some footage!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
So who all is going with you guys and guiding you around the area? I can see the outcome now and the aticles in the newspapers if you don't have a person knowledgable with the area or at least real mountain experience to guide you? Do you have beacons? Going to pack everything you need to spend 2 nights in the cold in the middle of nowhere?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ We arnt going up to Cooke City by ourselves, Polarisperson's dad is gonna bring us up there and ride with us and probably record us with our camcorder. We are planning on asking a local store or something that has the stuff that we need.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Go For It!
Today I put 90 miles on my '96 500 Indy Trail. It has a Camoplast 1" track and an Aaen Pipe (fan cooled). I was boondocking in places that surprised me! I crossed over the Continetal Divide on a trail twice. The condition were OK and are going to get better.
Have fun!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by cnelk
[br]Go For It!
Today I put 90 miles on my '96 500 Indy Trail. It has a Camoplast 1" track and an Aaen Pipe (fan cooled). I was boondocking in places that surprised me! I crossed over the Continetal Divide on a trail twice. The condition were OK and are going to get better.
Have fun!
Where are you riding at though?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts