Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 95 cat ext 580 efi and the owner said that you should not leave your brake lever lock for more than 5 minutes.so i look up this in the oprator"s manual this is what it said.the brake lever lock is not a parking brake and should not be applied for periods exceeding 5 minutes.the brake lever lock mantains the brake lever in the compressed position and mantains pressure against the brake disc;however after a period of time, the pressure applied to the brake disc may relax below the amount required to hold the snowmobile stationary.I HAVE NEVER HAD A SLED WITH HYDRAULIC BRAKES SO CAN I LEAVE THE BRAKE LEVER LOCKED ON MY SLED WHEN ITS ON THE TRAILER AND TRAVELING????????????????????

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it. If your manual says not to leave it for more than 5 minutes I wouldn't. It isn't only AC that says this i have heard not to on pretty much anything with hydraulic brakes.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
i diffently wouldnt do it....mine says not too.....cause it somehow runs the fluid or the breaks or something...if you dont want your sled to roll back or anything...get ties...or ski pin downs......oh yah...you will really like the hydraulic brakes compared to regular...i know i do!

ARTIC CAT....my way to play

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
yup, i dont leave mine on either, not even in the back of a pickup, those rubber mats hold em in there pretty good.....

When's Winter Coming Back?​

·
Registered
127 Posts
I believe it is an issue of the locked pressure leaking off and the sled moving. The captured volume of oil under pressure is very small with disc brakes and the loss of a couple drops will take you from full brakes to zero. The leakage would be internal in the master cylinder, but could be at the caliper if the seals are old. I have worked for a number of years designing brake systems before getting into the big bang business of explosives.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi Tim

Do you work at the explosive company in town? I think it's called ETS.
I have a friend that works there.

Jeff

RIDE SAFE - RIDE SOBER

·
Registered
127 Posts
No Trailblazer you are thinking of ETI explosives. I own a company called Can-Blast that manufactures equipment for loading explosives. It looks simular to a Bazooka, uses compressed air to propell cartridge explosives up special plastic pipe into the drilled holes. They come out of the hose or pipe at about 30 mph. Got a baseball mite to try and catch them. When they hit they break and the product is slimy, but not green. Check out the website www.can-blast.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts