Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to take my sled for a blast yesterday and couldn't pull the handle. Thought maybe it was seized[V]Track doesn't turn either. Phoned my dealership and they're saying it's a hydraulic lock. Don't know if there's drain plugs in the front of my block to get the excess fuel out. Anyone have any suggestions, be much appreciated. 1999 XC 600 Sorry guys this probably should have been in the "Shop"category, wasn't thinkin.[:D]

·
Registered
366 Posts
I would think it prolly has drains. My 79 txc did that. I just about ripped my hand off when i tried to pull it. I just drained the motor put the plugs back in and it started right up! worth a try anyway.

Rich

·
Registered
363 Posts
Turn the sleed off, Remove the Sparkplugs, and try pulling it over by hand. If it turns over, and some fuel shoots out the sparkplug hole, then it most likely is hydrolocked. Keep pulling it till ya get Popeye arms, about like 10-20 pulls to remove any excess fuel. Then re-install the plugs and try to start it normally. However if you attempt to pull it over with the Sparkplugs removed and dis-locate your shoulder in the process, there could be other problems such as a seized or stuck piston or something froze up inside the crankcase. When ya rode it last, how long ago was it, and you run enough oil and take care of it after a trip? check those things out

·
Registered
777 Posts
remove the 2 ,,10 mm drain plug bolts on the front of the engine,below the exhaust,on the crankcase. if your needle and seats are leaking, the crank case will be full,this will drain it,lift rear of sled,it helps,pull plugs,TURN THE KEY OFF,pull over till gas stops coming out,reassemle,should be good to go.next time you park it ,turn the gas off.

·
Registered
749 Posts
they shouldn't do that anyway should they? i could never remember to turn my gas off after every ride.

·
Registered
777 Posts
they shouldn.t,,BUT like i said,if your neddle and seat leaks,it will,.. one other way is if your fuel pump diafram{spelling}was to leak it could fill a crankcase.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks XC. Soon as the weather clears up I'll do that. Used to have to do it to the 89 400 but new fuel pump kit @ the beginning of every season cleared that up. Yes I checked the oil and coolant and they're fine. Just wasn't sure if my XC had the drains. (The dealer didn't know either. Sheesh) I hope it works, just scared maybe it's hung up on a ring or something. Probably be Thursday before I can get at it with the snow. It's outside under the snow again(covered) and the winds, the hood always tries to decappitate me! I'll try it on Thursday and let ya's know on here then. Thanks again XC. Guess I should start using my fuel shut offs. I never use them because I keep forgetten to turn them on.[:D]

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well.....it's only Wednesday but I couldn't help. Weather's great for a change. There was steam coming off the cover so I thought I'd tackle it. Took the cover off, undid the latches, looked and the pull handle and thought, What the hell?, give it a slow little tug. No prob. Came fully out! Turned the key and wholah!!! It started right up. Let it ryn for a minute and went for a quick rip in my yard on the snow. No prob.Started it again, no prob. Was thinking maybe everything just froze. Before putting it in the yard I had a lake run of about 2 miles through snow and a foot of slush. It sat for a week and hals and maybe there was just ice all over everything. Dunno but it's working fine now. Tks for all your input guys. Mark[:D]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts