Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally put the hyfaxes on my sled! Man what a pain in the butt!! I thought it would take an hour, took a couple. Is there a trick I'm not aware of? If not, I think I will take it to the dealer and have them do it next time. Fuzz

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Pop them out the track windows.....easiest way.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I did. Still a royal pain. Guess I will take it in next time. Thanks Rock, Fuzz

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
What was so hard. I put a bit of lube and tap them on with a rubber mallet.

·
Registered
463 Posts
sometimes i use a razor blade to open the track windows a hare just to getem out easier!, but remove the screw up front, and get a slide hammer fitted with a self tapping screw and twist it into the back of the hyfax and use the slide hammer to get the old hyfax started coming off! oh and make sure your track is lossened up!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
If it took a couple of hours, you probably should have pulled the skid like ******* recommended. Should easily be able to drop the skid and reinstall it in less time than that. Once the skid is off, it should only take 5 or 10 minutes to do the hyfax.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I've never tried to take the hyfax off through the track windows. It's easier just to take off the 4 bolts for your skid, pull the skid off, flip it upside down on the ground, and pound off the old hyfax and install new ones. I always put a little bit of grease on the bottom of the rails when im installing new ones. This not only makes it easier for them to slide on, but the next time you change them they won't be so hard to take off.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Most of the time I can change my hyfax in about 20 min in a heated garage and 30 min in the cold, including retensioning the track (assuming I have all necessary tools handy) Def no need to remove the skid unless the hyfax havent been changed in a while and are stuck.

First spray the length of the rail where the spreay lube will get down between the rail and the hyfax. Loosen track a little, remove screw in front of the rail, take a hammer and flat screwdriver or cold chisel and catch the screwdriver or chisel in the hyfax and start tapping it off through a track window. Once the hyfax is about a foot out of the track, just get a good grip and pull it off with a good yank. Install new ones with a little grease on the rail and a rubber mallet, tap it into final position with a chunk of cutoff hyfax or wood, install screw and tension track. Done. Doesnt always go that smooth, but most of the time it can be done in a half hr or so. If the hyfax are being stubborn, the same process still works but just takes a little longer.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I just take the screw out of the front of them. hit the whole thing a few times to break them loose. then take a screw driver and hammer and it it back until it gets to the window. have someone guide it through the window pullin on it with a vise grip. then after its through the window just do that the rest of the way out. After its through the window sometimes u can just pull it out without hittin it. takes maybe 30 min. Also I tip the sled on the side and lean the handle bar on a bench to make it easier.

·
Registered
741 Posts
it took me 3 or 4 days to do mine so dont feel bad. first i ruined where it slid on and when i put it on it would just pop off the rail, so i had to fix it and it went on hard as hell. The other i cut the hole sideways and couldn't get it in the middle. Then i had to drill my own holes where the bolt head goes and i couldn't seem to do that right either. I had my rear suspension out too BTW. it was a PITA for me haha. But I know what to do for next time.... good luck

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. Vamped thanks for feeling my pain..LOL. They were in bad shape, so a pain to pull off. I did lube them well this time, and cleaned the rails. So hopefully next time, wont be so tough. Thanks a lot everyone. Fuzz

·
Registered
353 Posts
This is an easy way to get your slides of if you have reverse and you don't want to pull your skid.

Just tap them a few inches out through a window, elevate the rear, start her up and throw in in reverse. The slides just peel right off the rails.

Watch here, you can fast forward to the 3:15 mark to see the slides peeling off...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5s9huklRu8

·
Registered
144 Posts
take screw out, tap them out about three inches, put vise grips on there really tight and pull them right off. then its easy from there.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Longest hyfax job I did was on an old Raider snowmobile. It is a twin track jobby that took me about 3hrs total. Consisted of drilling/air chisseling about 20 rivets per side, removing old ones, installing new, drilling new holes to match hyfax, and re-riveting them into place. All I have to say is that is a terrible design and I would much rather do a hyfax job on my new sled any day! Should only be a 20-30min job (plus beer and cleanup time)

·
Registered
463 Posts
SnowmobileAddict said:
This is an easy way to get your slides of if you have reverse and you don't want to pull your skid.

Just tap them a few inches out through a window, elevate the rear, start her up and throw in in reverse. The slides just peel right off the rails.

Watch here, you can fast forward to the 3:15 mark to see the slides peeling off...

HAHA "unless you're a buff guy like me, and happen to have a gym"

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not sure, for me anyhow, it is quicker to pull the entire rack. I do agree you can check more than slides that way.

As mentioned, I opened the widows a little (used heat to seal the cuts). Remove screw and used teh screw hole to pound them out with a large screwdriver. Last time I did them I used some car wash soap for lube...

Burch

·
Registered
66 Posts
danoxcr600 said:
SnowmobileAddict said:

HAHA "unless you're a buff guy like me, and happen to have a gym"
IMO that reverse method is silly!!!! wow

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well thanks guys. I do appreciate all the help. The question was there a trick to it? Obviously, (with the exception of the reverse method) there isn't. Also, when pulling them through the track windows, I'm dealing with 2" lugs. They did get in the way and bind things up quite a bit. I think next time I will pull every thing apart anyway. Would make things easier to get to and lube also. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts