Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Ok time to replace your Hyfax, ( What is this )? It is the wear strip between your track rails and your track. Most cases it is white but can be in various colors.

I just did my girlfriends 2007 dragon. I assume here that most sleds are simmilar in nature,

Project name: Hyfax replacement
why ? ( Forgot the to put down the ice scratchers on a hard packed road, 6 miles and they were melted and glued to the track runner) Feels like you blew a belt or froze a jack shaft.
Project Duration : 45 min
Cost $ 45 bucks
Importance : HIGH

Steps :
* Remove as much fuel as you can*[/color=darkred]
- Loosen track adjuster jam nuts and bolts, both sides ( Mark them so you can get back to close adjustment when done)
- Loosen rear idler wheel axle nut
-Track will generally walk a bit forward here (Don't worry)
- Tip sled to onto one side ( Do one side at a time )
- Look at front of Hyfax and slowly turn track looking through wear clip holes for the torx head screw. Once found remove screw.
- Now move to rear of hyfax tip and allign hyfax end with a track hole.
- take a DULL chissel and hammer, gently tap on side of hyfax at an angle rearwards, the Hyfax should start sliding to the rear of the sled.
- Make sure the end of the hyfax is exiting the track to the point you can grab the end and pull on the hyfax,( A rag helps with the grip )
- Once hyfax is removed clean the allum track runner as well as you can with some scotch brite or rough spung..
- Take new hyfax and place on old hyfax.
- Allign the screw holes and mark the front cut if required on the new hyfax
- Now mark the rear cut to length and follow the same angle
- clean your Hyfax cuts with a file or some sandpaper
- Spray some WD 40 or silicone spray, or a little dish soap into hyfax rail and a little on the outer edge of the allum rail.
- Slide the new hyfax back into sled on allum rail. ( Little patience here)Have a person assist or go slowly and keep checking for torx screw hole to allign itself with screw mounting hole.
- If hyfax stops you can take the cut piece and gently tap the rear end of new hyfax until the screw hole alligns.
- Install the mounting screw ( ONE SIDE DONE )
Repeat on other side after flipping sled to other side.

- Once both sides are done, elevate rear of sled so track is in the air and adjust track tension back to your old marks
- check track tension by measuring between hyfax near rear of track.( check your manual or call shop for proper tension and measuure point ). Once all is adjusted and tight and you can ride sled make sure to check tension and allignment again. ( Allignment is that both sides of track are running straight and true. Adjust as necessary.

Remember these Hyfaxes are about 20 bucks each. slack it off and you will wear through the hyfax and into allum rail, possibly destroying your wear clips. rails are about 120 a side, clips are not too expensive but a HELL OF allot of work a good day of time. Many hyfaxes have a slight line towards the bottom that show when they are getting close to worn out. I notice most wear is under rider posistion. the wear won't be even but use the most worn part as your wear guage indicator.

fun project and rewarding if you are a first timer.

I had the gal help and she actually had a good time...she learned the value of ice scratchers

Hope this helps you save some money.

See you all on the hill. Lake winatchee ( Fish lake area) WA Feb 19th 2013 thru 26th
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,722 Posts
I will never tip my sled on the side. I have rear suspended off the ground but pretty much do everything you do. I remove and replace, dont touch the rails and have never tried lube. Might next time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
M1abrams said:
Hello All,

Ok time to replace your Hyfax, ( What is this )? It is the wear strip between your track rails and your track. Most cases it is white but can be in various colors.

I just did my girlfriends 2007 dragon. I assume here that most sleds are simmilar in nature,

Project name: Hyfax replacement
why ? ( Forgot the to put down the ice scratchers on a hard packed road, 6 miles and they were melted and glued to the track runner) Feels like you blew a belt or froze a jack shaft.
Project Duration : 45 min
Cost $ 45 bucks
Importance : HIGH

Steps :
* Remove as much fuel as you can*[/color=darkred]
- Loosen track adjuster jam nuts and bolts, both sides ( Mark them so you can get back to close adjustment when done)
- Loosen rear idler wheel axle nut
-Track will generally walk a bit forward here (Don't worry)
- Tip sled to onto one side ( Do one side at a time )
- Look at front of Hyfax and slowly turn track looking through wear clip holes for the torx head screw. Once found remove screw.
- Now move to rear of hyfax tip and allign hyfax end with a track hole.
- take a DULL chissel and hammer, gently tap on side of hyfax at an angle rearwards, the Hyfax should start sliding to the rear of the sled.
- Make sure the end of the hyfax is exiting the track to the point you can grab the end and pull on the hyfax,( A rag helps with the grip )
- Once hyfax is removed clean the allum track runner as well as you can with some scotch brite or rough spung..
- Take new hyfax and place on old hyfax.
- Allign the screw holes and mark the front cut if required on the new hyfax
- Now mark the rear cut to length and follow the same angle
- clean your Hyfax cuts with a file or some sandpaper
- Spray some WD 40 or silicone spray, or a little dish soap into hyfax rail and a little on the outer edge of the allum rail.
- Slide the new hyfax back into sled on allum rail. ( Little patience here)Have a person assist or go slowly and keep checking for torx screw hole to allign itself with screw mounting hole.
- If hyfax stops you can take the cut piece and gently tap the rear end of new hyfax until the screw hole alligns.
- Install the mounting screw ( ONE SIDE DONE )
Repeat on other side after flipping sled to other side.

- Once both sides are done, elevate rear of sled so track is in the air and adjust track tension back to your old marks
- check track tension by measuring between hyfax near rear of track.( check your manual or call shop for proper tension and measuure point ). Once all is adjusted and tight and you can ride sled make sure to check tension and allignment again. ( Allignment is that both sides of track are running straight and true. Adjust as necessary.

Remember these Hyfaxes are about 20 bucks each. slack it off and you will wear through the hyfax and into allum rail, possibly destroying your wear clips. rails are about 120 a side, clips are not too expensive but a HELL OF allot of work a good day of time. Many hyfaxes have a slight line towards the bottom that show when they are getting close to worn out. I notice most wear is under rider posistion. the wear won't be even but use the most worn part as your wear guage indicator.

fun project and rewarding if you are a first timer.

I had the gal help and she actually had a good time...she learned the value of ice scratchers

Hope this helps you save some money.

See you all on the hill. Lake winatchee ( Fish lake area) WA Feb 19th 2013 thru 26th



We tryed to hit the hifax and it dug in to plastic and dinged the metal it dont really matter but what we did instead was took the whole suspension out and took both hifax off EASY put back under sled put all four suspension bolts back in thats how we change the hifax.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
xcr440 said:
I will never tip my sled on the side. I have rear suspended off the ground but pretty much do everything you do. I remove and replace, dont touch the rails and have never tried lube. Might next time.
I guess it can be a bit if a taste thing. I tip mine on side makes for easy access. Never leaks or causes damage. Lube helps a fair bit. I clean the rails as a check the box for easy install. Glad your method works for you though. I suppose there are some options on this repair.

Best to ya

550SuperSportm-10 said:
M1abrams said:
Hello All,

Ok time to replace your Hyfax, ( What is this )? It is the wear strip between your track rails and your track. Most cases it is white but can be in various colors.

I just did my girlfriends 2007 dragon. I assume here that most sleds are simmilar in nature,

Project name: Hyfax replacement
why ? ( Forgot the to put down the ice scratchers on a hard packed road, 6 miles and they were melted and glued to the track runner) Feels like you blew a belt or froze a jack shaft.
Project Duration : 45 min
Cost $ 45 bucks
Importance : HIGH

Steps :
* Remove as much fuel as you can*[/color=darkred]
- Loosen track adjuster jam nuts and bolts, both sides ( Mark them so you can get back to close adjustment when done)
- Loosen rear idler wheel axle nut
-Track will generally walk a bit forward here (Don't worry)
- Tip sled to onto one side ( Do one side at a time )
- Look at front of Hyfax and slowly turn track looking through wear clip holes for the torx head screw. Once found remove screw.
- Now move to rear of hyfax tip and allign hyfax end with a track hole.
- take a DULL chissel and hammer, gently tap on side of hyfax at an angle rearwards, the Hyfax should start sliding to the rear of the sled.
- Make sure the end of the hyfax is exiting the track to the point you can grab the end and pull on the hyfax,( A rag helps with the grip )
- Once hyfax is removed clean the allum track runner as well as you can with some scotch brite or rough spung..
- Take new hyfax and place on old hyfax.
- Allign the screw holes and mark the front cut if required on the new hyfax
- Now mark the rear cut to length and follow the same angle
- clean your Hyfax cuts with a file or some sandpaper
- Spray some WD 40 or silicone spray, or a little dish soap into hyfax rail and a little on the outer edge of the allum rail.
- Slide the new hyfax back into sled on allum rail. ( Little patience here)Have a person assist or go slowly and keep checking for torx screw hole to allign itself with screw mounting hole.
- If hyfax stops you can take the cut piece and gently tap the rear end of new hyfax until the screw hole alligns.
- Install the mounting screw ( ONE SIDE DONE )
Repeat on other side after flipping sled to other side.

- Once both sides are done, elevate rear of sled so track is in the air and adjust track tension back to your old marks
- check track tension by measuring between hyfax near rear of track.( check your manual or call shop for proper tension and measuure point ). Once all is adjusted and tight and you can ride sled make sure to check tension and allignment again. ( Allignment is that both sides of track are running straight and true. Adjust as necessary.

Remember these Hyfaxes are about 20 bucks each. slack it off and you will wear through the hyfax and into allum rail, possibly destroying your wear clips. rails are about 120 a side, clips are not too expensive but a HELL OF allot of work a good day of time. Many hyfaxes have a slight line towards the bottom that show when they are getting close to worn out. I notice most wear is under rider posistion. the wear won't be even but use the most worn part as your wear guage indicator.

fun project and rewarding if you are a first timer.

I had the gal help and she actually had a good time...she learned the value of ice scratchers

Hope this helps you save some money.

See you all on the hill. Lake winatchee ( Fish lake area) WA Feb 19th 2013 thru 26th



We tryed to hit the hifax and it dug in to plastic and dinged the metal it dont really matter but what we did instead was took the whole suspension out and took both hifax off EASY put back under sled put all four suspension bolts back in thats how we change the hifax.


Sorry to hear that, Sounds like a bit more work. Some can be a bear to remove but I have alwasy had good results....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Any pictures? I'm new to snowmobiles. I think I have an idea of what your talking about, but I'm not sure if I saw something like that on mine. Although I didn't know about "Hifaxes." TIA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,435 Posts
The hifax or also called sliders are the long plastic type things the the track moves on, on the bottom. Most are white or black in color but u can get different colors as well. Experts say the black one run coolest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,108 Posts
2 tips:

once its through the clip window grab it with a vice grips. That is the easiest.

Also, on the new hyfax, chamfer the edge at the front so that it is at the same level as the rail tip piece. You don't want your track clips to snag the front of the hyfax.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top