Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a search through the archive for this, but can't find anyone who has had this issue.

Problem: I have an SLP built 580/654 without too much info other than the specs. I have two different P-85 clutches one off my XC-600 triple and one off a 96 XLT. The issue seems to be the offset, the back of the clutch will bind on the bearing seal plate when the clutch is torqued down.

What I have done: I measured the crank stub from the seal plate to the end of the taper 1 1/16" (This seems short to me). I have measured the crank taper diamater from the plate to the end top= 1.170 Converted to MM= 29.717/ Middle 1.120 converted to mm 28.448/ and the end 1.070 converted to MM is 27.178 mm.

So any insite as to why the offset would be different? I knew I would run into issues here and there with this build, but the clutch is the last thing I thought would be the achilles heel.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got to the bottom of this issue, if anyone cares. When SLP installed the Tough Boy Bearing Kits in the early model XLT's they added a seal plate to allow for the wider PTO bearing. So when the motors went in to be built they machined the clutches at the same time.
So they are going to get me the specs and I will have the back side of the clutch trimmed a little.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Hmmph, I guess that's why some of the clutches we have had in our possesion had the cooling fins ground down 2" radially from the center of the taper on the backside of the stationary sheave.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the spec from SLP.
20111117153567_34313.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts