Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
people on this site. after reading the two vehicles , speed and what you ride topics. it seems like the kids that mommy gave new sleds two around here all they care about is how fast they can go and think its funny to run over the lawn signs that say no sledding. they have no thought to joinning a club or donate to a trail just want to abuse them. i like to hear that some of you are just out to have fun on a sled doesnt have to be new, and take responsibilty for your selfs. i love to ride at scary speeds some times skipping from bump to bump or getting the speedo close to 120 on a lake. but i like to think that when i stop for any one and everyone on the trail that is stopped that i am being a good sledder. and maybe the young kids i stop and help will in the future do the same.
keep up the good work and rub it off to those who need it in your groups!!!

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
uh..okay... I'm 15 and had a sled handed to me, nothing good mind you. a '91 377 fan skidoo safari, and its pink to boot. Now i dunno about everyone else you wanna shoot doen, but I don't take it for granted, and I may speed alittle on trail, but I know my limit, and stay completly undercontrol.

About the donating part. If a person doesn't want to be involved in a club whats wrong with that? So someone likes to take off on there own, and not have to worry about everyone else that is with them.

I don't know where you live, but in ontario you have to buy a trail permit to ride the trails. its 160$ for one season. I think thats a pretty fair donation...

I took alittle offence to that...
Maybe I took that the wrong way.

GO HARD, OR GO HOME

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
okay, after seeing the impressed with young kids title...i take a little of that back...

GO HARD, OR GO HOME

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
umm wtf? so what if I didn't pay for the sled I rode? That makes me an evil spoiled brat who doesn't know how to ride? Cause I like to go fast means I don't know how to ride responsiblly or safely?? I love speed when I hit the lake or a long open strip that I can see down it is hammer down time. But you want to know something? I DON'T DO IT ON BUSY TRAILS. Sometimes the putting people are the ones who are more dangerous. Well not dangerous but can be. One time I was doing the speed limit on a trail which was like 35 and this guy must have thought I was going to fast so he stood up, rode in the middle of the trail, threw his arm up and yelled at me. He damn neared forced me into a ditch and caused an accident all because he thought I was going too fast. So who was the less responsible here? Me doing the speed limit just cruising along or him practically jumping at me forcing me off the trail? I don't like spoiled kids who get everything they want myself. I live a good life with a lot of things that less fortunate people don't have and I am happy for it but that doesn't make me evil or spoiled. I mean isn't the point of capitalism to get a better life for you and your's? So why is it because one person's family does well and they can afford to live a better life they are suddenlly evil? As for the clubs there are no clubs in my area. And New York where I ride you pay permits and trail fees which is a contribution in my book. Or am I missing something there? The sled I rode this past season was a 1996 Polaris XCR that didn't run great. It was a fun sled and I liked it but my dad sold it since it was his. The only reason I got it was because he got the VIper and no one would give him anything he felt was fair for the XCR. I will probably be bought one more sled and most likely have to contribute to it in someway. After that however I am on my own and will have to buy any sled or other item like that I want. I hate kids whose parent's buy them a brand new car and everythign they want but what is wrong with getting some of the things you really want? Like I said the idea of modern society is providing a better life for yourself and in some peoples case your children.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
i didnt read the post you talked about mad cow but I know exactly what you mean, but, the young are just like the old, some good, some bad, just food for thought.......

1992 arctic cat jag deluxe
1996 ZRT 600

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
some younger riders are much better than any 30-50 yr that is just getting it to the sport....FOOD FOR THOUGHT!

GO HARD, OR GO HOME

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
well here is my thoughts:

so some kids parent goes out and buys a new sled for their kid, if the kid isnt responsible enough to take care of it, then oh well. but as a parent wouldnt you want your kid out sleddin instead of doing drugs or other things?? you cant blame youth for having what they have, i know when i have kids i will want them to have the best i can buy. and i too agree that their are alot of young riders out there that have a blast riding, and think about it, we were all that age once, and rode the same way, and most of us grew out of it.
and sled dog has a good point, alot of us dont have the luxury of riding on trails, as where we live have none, but isnt that what the trail permit money goes for?? so in short we are all helping out

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I think this is what it all really boils down to:

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by matthewmarsh:
the young are just like the old, some good, some bad, just food for thought.......

1992 arctic cat jag deluxe
1996 ZRT 600
[/quote]

Man, I've seen all kinds out there, from all age groups. There's good and bad on both sides.

When a kid gets a new sled given to them by thier parents and they ride it with absolutely not respect for the sled, environment or others; it isn't because they were given the new sled. It's because of the way they were raised. The parents don't take enough intrest or responsibility in the kid to instill respect or morals. So thats the attitude the kid is going to demonstrate.

However, if the parents (or parent) do instill good judgement skills and responsibility into them, then their going to demonstrate that type of attitude.

IMO

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm 17, and I buy almost all my own stuff. The only thing anyone helps me pay for is my snowmobile, because my uncle owns a shop so I get stuff a lot cheaper. Everything else I have bought myself. I have '93 Ford diesel and an '86 Mustang. Both of those I bought myself and pay for the insurance. Everyone thinks I'm spoiled, but I also have 4 jobs.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by snochic:
I'm 17, and I buy almost all my own stuff. The only thing anyone helps me pay for is my snowmobile, because my uncle owns a shop so I get stuff a lot cheaper. Everything else I have bought myself. I have '93 Ford diesel and an '86 Mustang. Both of those I bought myself and pay for the insurance. Everyone thinks I'm spoiled, but I also have 4 jobs.

[/quote]

WOW you must be busy....

GO HARD, OR GO HOME

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what i was trying to say sled dog was i am impressed with the responsibility that most of the young people on this site have. and the kids around here need to learn it.

tfin70 has a good point that the parents need to teach it.

the trails around here are grant in aid. that means that local clubs have to talk to land owners to get the trail access. then they are responsible for maintanance. but when a farmer has no sledding sign on his hay field and these bad few lose that land for the following year because they have no respect. thats why people need to join clubs. plus it adds numbers for lobbiest in the capitol to use for there arguments against opponents to trails. you dont have to ride with anyone. we only pay a little fee every three years. gas tax money goes to the dnr and they are supposed to trickle that money to the trails. and they do just that trickle. they always have nice building and trucks but the trails never get groomed on the weekend. i have not once seen a grommer on a state trail on a weekend.

my cousin has to work all the hours he can to get the few things he has. but he always talkes about how so and sos mom got him this or that and they beat the crap out of it. these are the kids that dont move over on the trail or spin on peoples lawns.

i have nothing against going fast on the trail, i ride to the point where i am having a little fear in my head. but we need to teach the people coming in respect for the sport and that has to be done by the other sledders setting good examples.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by madcow:

my cousin has to work all the hours he can to get the few things he has. but he always talkes about how so and sos mom got him this or that and they beat the crap out of it. these are the kids that dont move over on the trail or spin on peoples lawns.

[/quote]

There are too many people out there like this.

A few of my buddies are like this. They get their sleds and everything free and rip the shit out of em. When I got my sled my friend said Oh good now you can rip the shit out your sled. I was like no I can drive however I want. I bought it to ride not to spend hundreds of hours fixing it from doing stupid shit on it.

It's not how fast you go, but how much fun you are having.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't let anybody ride my stuff that doesn't respect other people's stuff. Somebody will ask to ride my 4-wheeler and talk about how their going to jump it off this double, then they wonder why I don't let them ride it.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
last person I let ride our four wheeler jumped on it and cracked the throttle wide open and busted 2 motor mounts. Granted they were of course pretty warn since they broke but still I don't let him ride it anymore.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yeah, when I used to live w/the folks on the lake, they used to have a 20' Stingray boat w/a 350 King Kobra in it....had the through the hull exhaust.....sweet boat. Anyways I had this friend that always wanted to drive it, but anytime I let him, he would always start cranking the wheel around all eratic and such. So he'd get all pissed off when I wouldn't let him drive it anymore. He just didn't get it.

But I had this other friend that was great with it. You know, you can just tell when someone respects the car, boat, snowmobile, what ever, when they're driving it. The other friend would get all pissed off and ask "How come you let him drive it?" I'd say "Hey dude, he's just a better driver than you....I trust him." Needless to say this was the guy I'd always have drive when I wanted to ski!

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
502 Posts
I know I'll catch crap for this but what the hell. I was one of those kids your talking about kinda! I came from a seperated family and my dad was always in Alaska workin at a gold mine. When he would come home tho, he would buy me and my sister all kinds of crap. I had a honda 70 3-wheeler, a 250 fourtrax, a yamaha snoscoot, I raced kitty cats and had this bitchin mod sled which i won the world championships with at Eagle River in 1988, I also got to start racing at 17 when I was still in High School. I sometimes rode through a farmers alfalfa but for the most part I was responsible as all hell cause my dad would kick the living tar outta me if I wasn't. Now that I am a little older and have a business with him i can look back and see how my youth days helped me now. I don't have trouble with money, making or spending it, I'm not in debt, even though I bought 3 sleds a month ago and put in for 3 sleds through the Arctic race program, own a bike and I am only 23. The only debt I have are student loans. Sometimes being a spioled brat with a hardass father pays off!:)

I don't use the brakes until I see God, and I am never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts