Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all I need some advise on my 96 ultra 680
I am redoin my hood and am cuting out alot of it to get more air to my enjine I already took out my air box was wondering if I need to put brases anywhere to reinforce my hood
I took out the right side air vents to make it completly open plus cut out alot of the middle section any hints on how to reinforse it dont want to roll and have it shater after all the work I have done with it

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well if I cut out the hood to get air to my sled to turn around and put a patch kit on it wouldnt that defeat the purpose of getting air to the sled?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
A thought would be to buy an aftermarket mesh hood, but it sounds like you already cut your hood apart... you could try to build an aluminum subframe or something that mounts over the engine to support the hood... kind of like a roll cage..

However I would like to know what you are hoping to obtain buy cutting out the material... To get more air flow you would have been fine gutting the air box and cutting a few holes behind the windshield... The carbs are only so big and will only be able to suck in "X" amount of air.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well my sled runs like a banshee when the hood is off it runs cooler and faster and my hood was thrashed from rolling so many times cuting my hood up takes away wate gives and gives me more are I already cut behind my windsheild but did not do much for it the wate I have taken off is already 10 pounds oh well I will just rig it up to look good and then I will have a pic of it on here for all of you doubters to see the finished product so you can do the same if it works out thanks for all of your input

·
Registered
815 Posts
You should just go directly to a mesh hood....you can build one for an easy 60 bucks...attach your tach to your bars etc....you want more air flow?>>>mesh is the way to go.....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no I will stick with what I have goin right now it only cost me 10 bucks and only weighs 6.5 pounds including the windsheild so no mesh $hit for me but hey thanks for the input it is finished and looks great also gets all the air I need to my little old stock 680 hahahahahahahahahaha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts