Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a performance pipe I can get for my 488 fan after I fix it? Would one even help on that gutless wonder? Ive looked all over the web but cant find one, wondering if that should tell me something. Thanks

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bolth really, the fanner is pretty, well,,, lame. Its amazing that my 400 l/c will smoke it, almost 100cc difference. Good sled though, never even hiccuped since new until that piston got broke. Thanks for the info, I will look into the aaen. What year is yours?

·
Registered
47 Posts
mines a 98 im stuck with it till i get a job and find a nice deal like the 03 snopro 440 for 1500 that i missed out on but yea its like 425 or somthing i think for a single pipe it gains like 8 hp tho but make shure you jet it and clutch it to and possibly gear it if you want more power out of it i just gutted my airbox and put a 3 inch riser on it and tightened up the suspension its not suppost to be a ditch banging sled but i use it as one anyways they run for about 12000 with out rebuild but just make sure to watch your motor temp incase it gets to hot!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well maybe I will hold out for a used one, hate to dump alot of coin in it, mines a 94. But dont worry man,they might not be fast, but at least they will get us out there. Ya bummer about the snopro, I missed a good deal on some sleds too. Good luck on a job, its tough out there!

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
i put the pipe on some fanners. we weighed it and the weight loss that aaen claims is true. driving with the aaen pipe vs stock pipe is no difference in reliability. for safety we lifted the needle one position and went up one jet size and then let the customer lean it down in time.

stock primary setup with a 48-34 progressive helix and a silver blue spring in the secondary, along with some aftermarket skis that lost 12 lbs.

the sled was amazingly quick to 60 mph. with the engagement raised a couple hundred rpm you could have had a lot more spin off the line. 15 minutes of clean up work on the cylinders could help wake it up more.

the 400 liquid has a lot more power than the fanner so it should be a faster sled.

·
Registered
244 Posts
its just a waste of money on a fan, i would just set the clutch up to what you would like and maybe change the gearing.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
aw duece Im not bashing it, like I said It hasent had a problem until now, and that was human error, not the machines fault. But seeing these sleds that will stand up ond end for yards at a time just makes me want more power!!! I love the little trail, for out exploring on my wifes family land, hunting, heck one time even took it out for a snow picinic:) I guess I sholdnt have called it lame, I shoulda said "power deffecient". But I agree, very very reliable

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have a 95 indy trail never a problem at all other then getting stuck sometimes.[thumb]

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
anyone who says not to mess with a fan has no clue. that little fanner setup right can give an older 600 cc machine a run for its money up to 60 mph. in the tight and twisty groomed trails they can leave a lot of bigger sleds in the dust.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks madcow, thats what I was wondering!! Im glad to know, so if I do it just bump up one jet size you think?

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
there is a good chance that stock jetting will work with the aaen pipe, but for safety jet up one size and lift the needle one clip. then you can safely work your way down.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
DG also made a single pipe for the 488 fan, I used to see them for sale time to time on EBAY, but its been a while since I have seen one on there, if my memory serves me correctly they claimed a 6 HP gain, here is some input from a few guys that posted on a similar topic over on HCS, the guys that said they tried the DG and Aaen pipe were not exactly impressed with the results unless porting and head mods were included with the addition of the pipe:

WarpSpeedXCR
Aug 13 2010, 07:58 AM
I currently own two 500 Indy's. Back in the day, when these were my every day drivers, I did everything you could bolt on to give them that little edge. I bored the carbs, tried both the DG and AAEN single pipes, even a set of twin pipes....all supposedly "designed" for this motor. Never saw more than a sled length or two gain in a drag race. They got louder, lost a little gas mileage, that's about it. The fuji 500, both liquid and fan, are good solid dependable motors if left alone.

If bolt on parts designed for the motor didn't do much I have to believe that bolt on parts NOT designed for the motor are going to be problematic at best.

If you want to improve the performance start with some simple things. Like the other guys said, clutch and gear it. Ditch the steel skis if it has those, and put on plastic, that's good for 15-20 pounds. Look at other lightweight parts, although the AAEN pipe didn't make it faster it did drop another 10 pounds.

Jeephunter16
Aug 13 2010, 09:23 AM
Yep I've already been working on everything else on the sled. The main thing I was looking for was to give it a little sounds but I guess I'm not gunna even bother. And that AAEN pipe is 425 bucks
Too Slow
Aug 13 2010, 01:38 PM
QUOTE (Jeephunter16 @ Aug 13 2010, 11:23 AM) *
Yep I've already been working on everything else on the sled. The main thing I was looking for was to give it a little sounds but I guess I'm not gunna even bother. And that AAEN pipe is 425 bucks

Aaen made a pipe for the 440-488 blower...didn't really work much better than stock if you didn;t do any motor mods. Noticable gains though with the same pipe with porting and head mods. Sled ran more rpm to make the power.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts