Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sled prices are RIDICULOUSLY high here, like $3500 for a 2000 XcSp 500 or 600? (not just one, i've seen like 8-10 for this price!!!), or a 2002 Ski-Doo Mxzx 800 for $4200? How bout a 2001 Polaris XcSp 600 for $3500? Like there are always over-priced sled, but when 80%+ are $500-$1000 over-priced, what gives? I was going to sell my 2001 Polaris XcSp 500 in nice condition for $2500 OBO with some extras, but thats like what a 97 Indy classic would go for around here......?

Like this is crazy, is it just here, or are other places having this B.S too?

take a look for yourself!!

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/f-cars-vehicles-ATVs-snowmobiles-snowmobiles-W0QQCatIdZ313QQPageZ2

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just bought a 2001 Mxz 600 in central Wisconsin for $1700, given that it has 5000 miles but its real nice shape for that price but I'm sure these ppl are using these bluebook sites like NADA/Kelly blue book and starting their sales at the excellent & low mile conditions, I agree that its BS and they need to realize it!
Mine was NADA booked at/between $1900-$2550

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
I drove 100 miles, to about 35 miles south of the NY border with Canada, and scored a pretty nice 2003 SKS 700 for $1800.

Moral? Shop around a little bit, the drive may save some serious cash....

·
Registered
384 Posts
Last year I got a 2001 polaris xcsp 600 with raised bars, hand gaurds, snow stuff can and lots of mods for 1200. It had like 2200 miles on it. Before that was a Polaris Indy storm 800 for 750, a Polaris ultra 680 for 700, and a 1995 polaris indy xlt sp for 1400, junk. I live in massachussets

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/115947/display.aspx

·
Registered
848 Posts
It must be that time of year when people think they can sell sleds for w/e they feel like again. The trick is to look all the time and when a good deal finally comes up be the first to call on it haha.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Its just the pricing in Canada. We pay a huge premium used or new to have recreational vehicles. People up here ask top dollar, even for junk. Going across the border into the USA knocks 50% off of the price of a comparable used unit in Canada....it sucks.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not even guys! I look on kijiji every single day. And this year, sled are $500 more than they were this time last year! only difference is they are 1 year older. I am on kijiji EVERYDAY, autotrader everyday, and I cannot find a good deal anywhere. I hate craigslist IMO, I have a hard time finding anything. I liked sledswap, but you cant narrow down the location (NY).. Well if you can, I can't do it (like only show used snowmobiles in NY).

I am in Canada, yes, But for us, our prices are more ridiculous than normal.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
aurex said:
Its just the pricing in Canada. We pay a huge premium used or new to have recreational vehicles. People up here ask top dollar, even for junk. Going across the border into the USA knocks 50% off of the price of a comparable used unit in Canada....it sucks.
How much import duty would you have to pay to buy a sled in the US?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There's the gas money there (like 5.5 hours), food, etc..... And there is allot of paperwork, and the $200 and some border/RIV fee. And the fact that, If I drove like 11-12 hours (round trip) to see a sled, and the guy wasn't honest or something, I'm out a couple hundred $$ in gas & other expenses.

And I find Craigslist terrible! I found like 3 sleds in the NY one.

Also, I find all that trouble, and NY's sled prices are a whole lot better. Your still paying $2200+ for a 01, 02 Polaris XcSp. So you save $400 from here, It's almost not worth it!

Is there any other sites for NY sleds?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Are the import duties different from province to province?

My father-in-law lives in NB, and he always comes across to the States to buy his four-wheelers. As a matter of fact, he's even bought a couple in Maine and sold them in NB at a good profit.

jesse500 said:
There's the gas money there (like 5.5 hours), food, etc..... And there is allot of paperwork, and the $200 and some border/RIV fee. And the fact that, If I drove like 11-12 hours (round trip) to see a sled, and the guy wasn't honest or something, I'm out a couple hundred $$ in gas & other expenses.

And I find Craigslist terrible! I found like 3 sleds in the NY one.

Also, I find all that trouble, and NY's sled prices are a whole lot better. Your still paying $2200+ for a 01, 02 Polaris XcSp. So you save $400 from here, It's almost not worth it!

Is there any other sites for NY sleds?

I wonder if a local NY member would check out a sled for you ahead of time to see if it was worth your time. I've done that for members of a 4x4 forum I belong to.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yeah craigslist definitely needs to be restructured, it only does the bare basics of what it should do. Uncle Henry's is popular in Maine, better than craigslist but lacks some much needed things too, its also pretty slow, but they have magazines which make the profit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
picman said:
How much import duty would you have to pay to buy a sled in the US?
None if you do it right and get ANY vehicle imported at auction rate. So in my case instead of paying 5% PST AND 5% GST, I would pay 5% GST and 0.5% PST.

Buying goods in the states is much cheaper for A LOT of things than in Canada. The only problem is it's a pain in the a$$

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
There are 2 craigslist search helpers I'm aware of to help you spread out yer search.

Craiglook.com & crazedlist.org

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is what I think has to be done by things I have read online.

-notify border 72 hours prior of the sled your going to import (send them the title i think)
-go over there, buy it
-go to border, they inspect it, you declare the price (according to bill of sale)
-pay the fee
-go to Canadian tire, they 'legalize' it for you,
-pay 13% tax to register it under my name

a lot of BS

·
Registered
103 Posts
You guys have the harmonized sales tax in Ontario?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, we pay 13% for everything.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Brutal. Just another government money grab. I hope we don't end up with that here in Saskatchewan. If I import any vehicle into Canada I can get a away with paying auction rate on PST which is 10% of what full rate is. Probably can't do that with a harmonized tax.

By the way, that was introduced to save money was it not? Has it saved you any money?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts