Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I have is a 2000 Polaris Indy 500 XC I bought new in 99. Other then a new speedo cable, covered under warranty a year after i bought it, and a rebuilt rear shock 2 years ago, i have not done a thing to this sled. Each year, sat with no additive to the fuel, limitied greasing, though i do remember i have change wear rods once also. Plugs maybe changed every three years. Starts every year, never a problem. What i am wondering, i think its time to do something before things go wrong, and was just wondering what should be done, any filters, fluids, stuff like that that i should change. Brake pads maybe....
Just wondering for some input. I am a guy that just gets on to ride, no abusing the sled, other then a drift buster once in a while, and by the way , the sled had a little ofer 2500 miles on it and has bee a very good depedable sled for me....

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
its definitely due for a chain case fluid swap, i suggest removing the cover and cleaning out any loose metal shavings you can see.

coolant also goes bad over time, changes the efficiency of it being able to cool your sled in different temps.

inspect vacuum hoses, other rubber lines for wear or delamination

fuel filters are an easy cheap way to keep your sled running clean, easily replaced.

if u havent taken any nasty bumps or hit any holes with the skis the front end should not be too far out of wack, if the sled goes fine down the trail you shouldnt have to worry about adjusting too much there.

grease the hell out of the rear suspension, there are plenty of grese zirks probably just begging for some new lube, water gets in small openings and holes which makes the grease go bad and lose its ability to keep everything moving freely.

if you have some knowledge on how clutches are taken apart and put back together, the simplest way of cleaning those are with hot soapy water. high solvent cleaners like carb clean or brake cleaner are not recommended because when the clutches reach operating temp, chemicals are released from the cleaner residue, releasing them into you belt, shortens belt life and the sheaves of the clutches also.

make sure your handlebars are bolted on tight and give 'er hell!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts