Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a interesting fact about my triumph today! well on polarisman.com i was looking and i seen it was a piston port engine, according to them. i am like what, i thought it was a monoblock! heres the link. I keep finding different stuff on this sled everyday it seems.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Originally posted by PolarisRocks0822
[br]I found a interesting fact about my triumph today! well on polarisman.com i was looking and i seen it was a piston port engine, according to them. i am like what, i thought it was a monoblock! heres the link. I keep finding different stuff on this sled everyday it seems.
You can have a sled with a piston port induction and a monoblock. The monoblock engine simply means that all three cylinders reside in a single block of aluminum. If one cylinder goes out, and takes out a cylinder, the entire block of cylinders needs to be replaced. Most triples have a separate "jug" for each cylinder so that if one cylinder dies, only that one needs to be replaced. The piston port refers to the type on induction the two-stroke engine uses. You can have reed induction, which is where the amount and timing of the air entering the crankcase is controlled by flat pieces vibrating at a certain harmonic frequency. You can have rotary valve induction, where a rotating plate opens and closes the path for the air and fuel to enter the crankcase, and you can have piston port induction, which is where the piston skirt moving up and down covers and uncovers the path of the air into the crankcase like a valve. So you do, in fact, have a monoblock engine with piston port induction.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so the fett brothers reed spacers that are on dennis kirk would fit on my sled even with the flatslides? what do reed spacers do? is it worth it? could i really add the fett brothers reed spacers on my sled?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Since you do not have a case reed motor, reed spacers would do nothing. You have a piston port engine. There are no reeds to "space."

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
wow steve, the spacers WILL NOT FIT. You do NOT HAVE REEDS YOU HAVE A PISTON PORT INDUCTION. Do i gotta beat it over your head boy!? call me later im riding after i put my edge seat on [:)]

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by mdmaniac
[br]wow steve, the spacers WILL NOT FIT. You do NOT HAVE REEDS YOU HAVE A PISTON PORT INDUCTION. Do i gotta beat it over your head boy!? call me later im riding after i put my edge seat on [:)]
lol hey just thought i would ask.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
only thing id like to add would be someoen mentioned on a monoblock, if one cylinder goes out, they all need replaced. this would be incorrect. if one cylinder goes, that cylinder can be fixed even if it rquires boring. many have run the xlts with one cylinder one or even 2 sizes over. would suggest all same brank pistons or scale them to keep weight close. but doesnt mean the whole block is junk.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Originally posted by bigwedgies
[br]only thing id like to add would be someoen mentioned on a monoblock, if one cylinder goes out, they all need replaced. this would be incorrect. if one cylinder goes, that cylinder can be fixed even if it rquires boring. many have run the xlts with one cylinder one or even 2 sizes over. would suggest all same brank pistons or scale them to keep weight close. but doesnt mean the whole block is junk.
I meant more along the lines of a rod going through the side of the cylinder or a ring getting caught in a port and completely destroying the cylinder. Yeah, light scoring and scratches can be taken care of by boring and honing. Good point.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i knew what you meant and figured you knew what you meant. but sometimes people read these who really dont, and think...F$$k i dont want one of those sleds, you have to replace everything. theyre great sleds and a great motor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts