Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20109268472390_33643.jpg
201092684537937_33643.jpg
20109268443265_33643.jpg
201092683836500_33643.jpg
201092683641687_33643.jpg
It seems like all the new sled's (from polaris anyways) have alot of bare aluminum on them. After one year of riding it's all oxidized and looks like crap! After only 800 miles!! Well i've decided to do something about it! I've taken my sled apart and started to paint it. (Yes! I took apart a sled that only has 800 miles on it!) Right now i've got it tore down to basicly the skid. I didn't take the front end off because I didn't want to mess my steering up! I thought that I would share some of the pic's and let you know how my project is going over the next few week. If any body would understand or even care i figured that you people would!! If you have any questions or if you just want to tell me how much of a dumb ass i am!! feel free!! Here are some pic's so far!!
20109268357203_33643.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
was wondering on the tunnel why you didnt break out the buffer and polish the tunnel, course im old and love polished metals. Just wondering, have a good one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BrianLee said:
was wondering on the tunnel why you didnt break out the buffer and polish the tunnel, course im old and love polished metals. Just wondering, have a good one.
Ya! I've done that in the past. Down side is you have to keep doing it. Trying to polish all that under the hood is just impossilbe. This way all I have to do is break out the power washer and it's back to looking good. Thanks for checking it out!!!!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I hope it's being powder coated, not rattle canned or spray gunned.
It looks like it will be sweet when it's done, keep it up.
But you will still have to adjust the steering because you took the skid out. Any time you take the skid out you have to adjust the track again. And you always adjust the skis to be aligned to the track. If your skis are aligned to each other but not to the track, you most likely won't be driving in a straight line

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Chevelle3454 said:
I wish I had a big enough oven to fit a whole tunnel, But for now I will have to live with a regular house oven.
You would have a bigger oven if SOMEONE would come up and get it.[Disappointed][Disappointed][Disappointed][Disappointed][Disappointed][Disappointed]
Not big enough to do a tunnel but bigger than what your using now.[thumb][thumb][thumb][thumb][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Luckylaro, if you don't powder coat the tunnel, it will start peeling the first year. Good luck with your project.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Looks like alot of work! Like others said I hope you didnt just use paint,the first time the power washer hits it there will be paint flakes flying all over.

·
Registered
915 Posts
a guy I know painted his tunnel a few years back used good self etching primer and paint and it lasted fine

The polished look is cool but its to much work spend two hours polishing ride it one day then it needs it again.
I was going to paint the tunnel on the RR this summer but I'm getting a new sled instead

·
Registered
564 Posts
I was thinking of doing the same thing to my suspension set up. Do you think after a coat or two of paint some clear coat would keep it from chipping, u know when you get down there to break ice off in the morning b4 u ride? A few coats of clear might keep it a little longer at least. Looks good though

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
you do that with a rattle can? God I hope it holds....sure would be a shame if it started falkin' Looks great though!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JEEPS101 said:
I was thinking of doing the same thing to my suspension set up. Do you think after a coat or two of paint some clear coat would keep it from chipping, u know when you get down there to break ice off in the morning b4 u ride? A few coats of clear might keep it a little longer at least. Looks good though
I used dupli-color paint shop paint it"s a automotive quality paint. the first time I did this was on my 2002 polaris 800 edge. I used shaker cans on it. Then I brushed on a few coats of polyurathane. I figured if they use it on floors and walk on it it should work. It did work. down side was after awhile it started to yellow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts