Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K The other day I had just started riding 95 xcr and I went up a tree row by our house that was just pure powder,and I didnt even get to the end and it loss power and since my hood vents werent taped I figured the airbox was just full of snow which it did have some snow in it so I hurried back home befor it quit and I got in the heated shop and it quit so I figured id just let it unthaw and it will be fine.so later that night I went out and it started right up and ran good,then a week later "today" I went to go out for a ride and it wouldnt start for nutting..So I put either in it and it finnaly started but it idled at 500 rpm and was really doggy..then it quit again and same thing it would start for 2 sec and the quit so then I decided to take a compression test and the first 2 cyl were 120psi and the 3rd was 25-30psi[:(]..I looked down the sparkplug hole and the piston looked good but I could just see the middle of the piston..What could be wrong and what could of caused it?

·
Registered
128 Posts
when you suck in snow it turns to water and then steam when it hits a hot piston. steam cleaning in a nutshell is a very effective way to remove oil from any surface including your cylinder and piston. you will find your piston has had a dry siezure. you will find most of the damage on the intake side of your piston. get yer wrenches warmed up and think about a filter on your air box. sorry about your luck hope this helps you get back on the snow!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just a guess,but aren't you the guy that just told me that he use o-rings from the hardware store? Normal o-rings melted in about 20 miles for me..just something else to check.
peace...willie

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The first thing I checked were the o-rings and they were still fine."P:S willie I was using High temp o rings for vehicals and stuff".So when the piston gets wet it just scratches the cyl/piston??I didnt run it for more then a min or 2 after the airbox got some snow in it..I guess ill just have to take it apart and find out..Iv rode in powder befor and never had this problem..

·
Registered
128 Posts
in 2 minutes that piston moved back and forth 16 thousand times without oil. does that paint a clearer picture in your mind? lol

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I guess thats true but it still seems funny it would do that..Wash the oil off the cyl that fast..

·
Registered
614 Posts
I wouldn't use quick-start(either) any more, its made for diesel fueled engines.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Yeah, don't use ether in your engine. Bad idea, it's VERY dry. You aren't even supposed to use it in a warm diesel engine.

Also, don't forget when you suck in snow, snow is crystalized water. Crystalized water = frozen water. Frozen water = ice. ice = hard. ice = abrasive. So not only does it dry it out, it's also similar to putting sand in your cylinder.

A little bit of snow dust doesn't hurt it very much, but sucking a bunch of snow into your airbox can hurt it pretty bad.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The sled will be taken apart tommarow..I had a friend machanic of mine look at it and the problem was the carb got plugged with snow and leaned out the cyl and scored it..Hopefully it didnt do any damage to the cyl wall otherwise it will be a easy fix..I used starting fluid when I was tring to start it, Is that the same as either??It says on the can it has extra lube and is made for gas and diesal engines..My sled "xcr" has 6500 untouched miles on it until now and it could of been prevented. it made me kinda mad cause I wanted to see how many miles she would go befor I had to do anything to it..O well she should be back in the snow in no time..

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
if it leaned way out, you would have white spark plug and a hole in the piston. Most likely anyway. If the intake side of the piston is severely scratched, it was cuz of ingesting snow.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep it had a small chunck of piston gone on the exhaust side"belive it or not" Most likley from snow ingestion,It had one scratch on the cyl wall so im having it bored .20 and rebuilding the hole top end since it has 6500 miles on it,im putting weisco pistons in..Just waiting for parts now..

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Jut my personal experiences, and what I've heard, but weisco pistons aren't a good idea for snowmobiles. What I heard is the aluminum alloy they use doesn't like the starting in extreme cold.

Don't shoot me, I am just lettin ya know what I heard.

I personally won't use anything but OEM parts. Regardless of cost.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah iv heard things like that to,but I have friends with them in their sled and they havnt had any complaints yet,I usually park my sled in a heated garage after every use so im not to worried,that and factory price $420.00,weisco price $250.00..Just have to wait and see I guess

·
Registered
414 Posts
After a bad experience with aftermarket pistons (not sure it was wiseco) I only use original parts in the cylinders. But maybe i just had bad luck, who knows?.

·
Registered
128 Posts
cat stop stealing my ideas!!! wd40 is a real neat can of stuff i have started engines, washed my hands. and watched guys spray it on fishing lures but i know you have been reading my threads %$#@%[:(]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts