Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently became an owner of a 2000 SXR 700. In its prime it use to be a pritty quick sled but as time went on and new sleds came out it sort of sank down in the speed world. I was wondering if there is any slight adjustments or parts i could put in it to put it back up to par or even higher. im not looking to spend a ton of money ether. any advice would help..

Thanks for the imput

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Its still the fastest 700 ever made, but if you want more you could try a clutch kit and a long-travel suspension kit.
The SRX was never meant to be a ditch banger, but with a long-travel kit youd pretty much have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thats odd. In my oppinion that Sled is Still pretty damn fast for its age, and compared to new sleds.. It all depends on what kind of Outcome you want. What Kind of "speed" you want. Accleration? Top Speed? There are a few different routes you can take. There are a few different things to mod also... Exhaust- Pipes or a can. Intake- upgrade reeds. Clutching- weights and springs. Ever considered that this sled MIGHT need a top end rebuild to give it that extra fresh grunt? Anyway.. Theres just a few ideas.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I put a 1.25 ripsaw I my 99 srx and had to change the size my drive wheels and adjust the clutch. I have only rode it once this year and it seemed alot faster than last year. You live in Franklin? Is there any trails or places to ride? I have family in Franklin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks for the info... octane you were talking about a long travel kit... what is that. is that just a track conversion to extend the track... and how much is it.

about franklin... its really hard to ride around here. i have a place in langlade county which is where we ride. two years ago we finally had enough snow to take our sleds from franklin to our place up north... it took two days in which it was around 500 miles a day! you have no idea how sore i was by the end of the trip. we have another one planed for later this year.

whishin for snow!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
is this an SRX or SXR, two different sleds.
I have the SXR and there are a few free and cheap mods you can do to that machine. The SRX is a tripple tripple with power valves and the SXR is tripple single piped no valves.
let me know which one you have and I can give you a few suggestions.

·
Registered
841 Posts
So how many miles on this sled?
What's compression like?
Are the clutches in good shape?
First you need to do the basics and then you can get into the good stuff.
If you like to read, go visit the tech pages at http://www.totallyamaha.com/.
Off the top, there are things like changing the head gasket, reed spacers or notches, air box, pipes, clutching setups, just to name a few. Besides the pipes, you can do all these yourself without empting your wallet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
yea if it's a srx it is fast as i would ever want but the sxr is well pretty colse to one of the slowest 700 made untill you pipe it triple pipes some cluching and you won't be worrying to much about new 700's i has a 2000 sxr 600 piped cluched bigger gear in chaincase and a few other's and there is'nt a 600 out there that i have met that will be it and a few 700

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its a SXR not a SRX 700. how much should i be expecting for new piping? about the cluch... its got A LOT of miles on it but its still in pritty good condition. i think im gunna buy a new cluch kit and play with the weighting. hey has ne one else had problems with the slides sticking... the previous owner said something about them being pritty bad.

·
Registered
25 Posts
your looking to drop about 1000 cnd for good pipes cluchin would be a really good first step don't worry about miles its a yamaha triple i got over 15000 on mine 1 rebuilt my own fault

·
Registered
55 Posts
my SXR700 with single pipe well set up would run 107mph on the gun.
They are not slow..I would beat the FIII 700 all day long. I have since piped if for $250 pipes, $150 clutching. If you pipe it you must re-clutch and re-jet. Now I am shooting for about 116mph.
there are some free mods that will make a big difference with that sled.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Wasn't the FIII a 600. I know my buddys was.(95)

·
Registered
25 Posts
yamyrider you must have quite abit done to your sled cus my sxr 600 will run 103 to 105 on gps all day long and the 02 sxr 700 cluched single pipe i ride with i can beat him in any condition all day long and same to the 04 700 viper cluched i ride with and i know they must be runging well under 105 cus it's not even close

·
Registered
55 Posts
SXRBoy,

It is all in the setup. Suspension, clutching and other little tricks. You must be riding with alot a people that dont know how to set up their machines. There is one guy that had his single piped SXR700 doing 114mph on the gun. One guy down the street from me with his piped Vmax get 119.1mph. Your 600 must be very well set up to get those speeds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i would talk to someone that knows pipes vary well. ive heard piping a sled with power <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href=# onmouseover="window.status='Search for: valves'; self.lm_skeyphrase='valves'; if(self.lm_timeout) clearTimeout(self.lm_timeout); if(window.event) self.lm_sevent=window.event.srcElement; self.lm_timeout = setTimeout('lm_doMouseOver(1)', 1500); self.lm_isOverLink=true; self.lm_isOverTip=false; return true;"return true;" onclick="window.status='Searching for: valves...'; self.lm_skeyphrase='valves'; if(self.lm_timeout) clearTimeout(self.lm_timeout); self.lm_isOverTip = false; lm_closeiframe(); window.open('http://www.srch-results.com/lm/dir_rxt.asp?si=19902&k=valves&ref='+window.location,'_blank','toolbar=yes,location=yes,directories=yes,status=yes,menubar=yes,scrollbars=yes,copyhistory=yes,resizable=yes'); return false; " onmouseout="window.status='Search for: valves'; self.lm_isOverTip = false; if(self.lm_timeout) clearTimeout(self.lm_timeout); setTimeout('lm_closeiframe()', 1500);">valves</a></A> greatly reduces the life of your power valves. it is important to get the pipe kit that <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href=# onmouseover="window.status='Search for: will'; self.lm_skeyphrase='will'; if(self.lm_timeout) clearTimeout(self.lm_timeout); if(window.event) self.lm_sevent=window.event.srcElement; self.lm_timeout = setTimeout('lm_doMouseOver(1)', 1500); self.lm_isOverLink=true; self.lm_isOverTip=false; return true;"return true;" onclick="window.status='Searching for: will...'; self.lm_skeyphrase='will'; if(self.lm_timeout) clearTimeout(self.lm_timeout); self.lm_isOverTip = false; lm_closeiframe(); window.open('http://www.srch-results.com/lm/dir_rxt.asp?si=19902&k=will&ref='+window.location,'_blank','toolbar=yes,location=yes,directories=yes,status=yes,menubar=yes,scrollbars=yes,copyhistory=yes,resizable=yes'); return false; " onmouseout="window.status='Search for: will'; self.lm_isOverTip = false; if(self.lm_timeout) clearTimeout(self.lm_timeout); setTimeout('lm_closeiframe()', 1500);">will</a></A> work well with your power valves.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts