Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least until I get this back together:

Any tips on getting that damn primary off. It hasn't been off in at least 3 years, probably more.

I have a good feeling I'll need a hone job and new pistons (which gives me even more of an excuse to bore to a 600) as there is some fairly significant blow-by on the exhaust side, nothing horrible, but still a good reason to at least throw new parts in. Plus there was a faif amount of blow-by where the y-pipe meets the exhaust, so that will need to be fixed too. My room-mate is going to help me do some port/polish work and carb rebuilding, amung other performance enhancing modifications.

All in all, it's is fairly decent shape for a 18 year old engine that wasn't cared for by the book (mild abuse and neglect)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Exciter motor!!!! I had no problem rebuilding mine. I used a clutch puller from www.denniskirk.com to pull the clutch. I want the snow!!!! Don't mess it up for the rest of us. Why make us suffer even more.
[NeedSnow]

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, but I don't have a clutch puller, and I'm too impatient to order one, so I'm thinking about going to menards tomorrow and grabbing a matching size bolt and making a two part redneck puller. It will work on the same concept, just not as intended.

I'll amend my original statement. I don't want snow, but wish the rest of you sledders the best of luck. But once I get back onto the snow, it's on.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
be careful with a home made puller, you can mess up the threads on the bolt that goes in there, and if you use a soft metal it can mushroom in ther and get wedged. your best off using the right puller. I know our yamaha dealer, and also our Arcticat dealer will pull them off cheep enough. and much safer.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I busted down and took to someone to have someone pull it.

It wasn't a total loss, I got to check out the new Cats, Doos, and Yamis. That new Phazer looks sick in person, but I still like the Apex styling the best.

·
Registered
474 Posts
good decision, may as well order one though for the next time you need to pull it off. Every time you go pay to get the clutch pulled, probably once, you would have already got your money's worth out of it .

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a Comet, but I'm not sure what model exactly. I'll look when I get home.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
get that thing back together ASAP. The rest of us aren't waiting around for the snow. J/K let us know how the rebuild goes, along with the bore.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Then:

Now:

Completely apart. Now I have to wait until I get paid to get the parts I need . . . crank bearings, pistons, gaskets, seals, and a new CDI.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts