Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here you go. Last Saturday I went to a big snowmobile gathering. I entered a raffle and won a 3002 Ski-doo 600 Rev. It was late at night when I found out so I gave it a test ride then waited with anticipation for the morning. The next morning I rode it for about four hours then had to pack up and drive home. About 15 minutes out I was coming around a downhill corner, it was icy, I was driving sloow. About 25MPH. I came around a corner and BOOM, there was a guys trailer sitting in the middle of the road. Of course I hit it, sideways, and my trailer caught in the snow on the side of the road. Yep, both my snowmobiles flew off and rolled down the 15 foot ditch wall. My 2001 Polaris 800xc was totalled, Ski-doo had around $400 damage and the truck took the trailer right between the bumper and brush bar. It did $5000 worth of damage. All are still in the shop. Sorry, no pics. N-Dakota law says it is my fault. I pay three deductables. Be careful out there.[:(!]

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks and you are all correct. Nobody was hurt. They had pulled his truck and trailer out of the ditch because he slid off the road. It was sheet ice. With the wind blowing, it literally push you across the road while standing still. You know the kicker? The DOT sand truck came by just as we got everything out of the ditches and were ready to leave. Also, here is some adivce. If your sled is not "in" the back of your truck, you better have insurance on your sled. I did, so I only have to pay the deductables. Hard on the pocket book right after the holidays, but again, nobody was hurt.

·
Registered
412 Posts
That's aweful! I'm just curious; how did the sleds fly off the trailer? Did the tie-downs break?

Jacqui.

·
Registered
82 Posts
[V]I feel for you. [:(]We had a close one last year, but thankfully we pulled out of it and everything was OK! What a stupid law, we all know that it was not your falt.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
That's gotta suck. If the sled is in the back of a truck owned by another person (not you), and the truck crashes, would there insurance cover it if you don't have collision, on the sled.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote, "That's aweful! I'm just curious; how did the sleds fly off the trailer? Did the tie-downs break?"

I don't travel far so I just used the ski bindings that come with a snowmobile trailer (a Sledbed). Now, however, I am going to get some tie down points welded on the sides and do some other modifications as well. Better luck to you all. AND, know your states laws on insurance and vehicle responsibility. It will save you in the long run.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Ouch that sucks. We had a close call on the trailer last year, and the sleds really shifted... We now have two strap tiedowns on each sled, holding the front and rear of the sleds in place. YOU CAN"T TRUST the tie down bars on the skis...

-Dean

·
Registered
412 Posts
We always tie down both front and back of each sled with straps. Trailblazer is very particular about how the sleds are tied down. After reading your post, I can see why!

Jacqui.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
So tell us, what are the 3002 sleds like? lol. That does suck though, but 400 bucks damage isn't bad, still came out ahead!

·
Registered
699 Posts
the 3002 rev what is that like i know the 2003's are nice but the 3002 must be bad azz least no body was hurt sorry to hear good luck in the future hallin your sleds

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sorry to hear this but at least know one was hurt.

Is sad but this happens more then people think. My dad is an adjustor for Allstate and he has been totaling machines all year most of them were on the trailer. He just did one that a guy hit a moose and it went over the truck and landed on one of his machines on the trailer totaling it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's almost a new year and I am READY!!! [8D] I got my sledbed six "D" rings welded around the frame to prevent the sleds from flying off. I used the trailer for my two quads this summer, but am ready for the snow. The SkiDoo is awesome. Let's just hope that this year will be a better year. No wrecks and lots of snow. See you all out there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts