Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up people, im looking to buy a back up sled, nothing special, just something i can ride, just in case. im looking at xlt's, xcr's and ultra's. i just bought a brand new left over 2002 800 xc sp. ive had a 97 xlt special and a 97 ultra spx and a 99 xc 500 in the past, the 500, which bored the hell out of me after my ultra. last year i bought a used 2002 700 xc sp and this year i found a good deal on the 800, that i couldn't pass up. i was looking into either a 96-97 xlt, a 97-98 xcr, or a 96-98 ultra. i would just like some feedback and what you guys think would be my best bet for a fast reliable sled. both my xlt and my ultra were very reliable, but i did do check ups on them every 3-4 rides. i want a sled in the 1000-1500 price. any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks. p.s. i have had many sleds before that, ie: indy trails, indy 440 liquid cooled, 99 xc 500. i would like a back up sled with some balls and those first three models are what comes to mind when in need for a good, fast, and reliable sled.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Id try to find a '98-'00 600 XC. It would be a lot faster than an XLT and just about as fast as an Ultra.
I love my '01 600 XC. Does 105 mph on the lake and pulls 16 mpg cruising the trails at 30-50 mph. Ive got over 6,000 miles of nearly trouble-free operation on mine, I cant complain.
Unless you can find a '98 700 XC, Id pass on a 700. IMO, after '98 the 700 was a dog. I had a '99 700 XC SP and even after some clutching mods it still wasnt all that impressive, plus the gas milage was terrible. Even with going down 1 jet size it still would only pull about 11 mpg.
A 600 VES is just as fast as a 700 and pulls much better fuel economy.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Originally posted by FastPolaris
[br] i was looking into either a 96-97 xlt, a 97-98 xcr, or a 96-98 ultra.
Am I the only one that reads an entire post?

Anyways - if you're that careful (as am I) I would say the Ultra. Quick, nimble, and fun as heck. If you want something that you really won't have to do anything to besides gas, oil and go - the XLT.

Here's some info on the different issues with specific sleds and years. Read it - it will let you know exactly what you're looking for.

http://www.geocities.com/schmidt92/polaris_faq.html

Bryan

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Originally posted by Octane
[br]Id try to find a '98-'00 600 XC. It would be a lot faster than an XLT and just about as fast as an Ultra.
I love my '01 600 XC. Does 105 mph on the lake and pulls 16 mpg cruising the trails at 30-50 mph. Ive got over 6,000 miles of nearly trouble-free operation on mine, I cant complain.
Unless you can find a '98 700 XC, Id pass on a 700. IMO, after '98 the 700 was a dog. I had a '99 700 XC SP and even after some clutching mods it still wasnt all that impressive, plus the gas milage was terrible. Even with going down 1 jet size it still would only pull about 11 mpg.
A 600 VES is just as fast as a 700 and pulls much better fuel economy.
My '00 XCSP 700 spanks on Summit 800. The 600 with VES is fast don't get me wrong, but it won't even be close to a 700. I totally agree with you on the fuel economy, it isn't the best. A lot of the people I know that have '99 700 have similar opinions as you.

I would like to apologise for high jacking the topic.

XLT's and Ultra's are fun sleds and fairly reliable. Nice snag on the '02 800.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Must be a lot of bad 700 XCs out there than, because Ive seen 600s keep up with and sometimes even beat 700s time after time.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I have seen it done and was the person getting beat.

No great feat to beat a summit 800. Look at the track they are turning.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
if you wanted a quick reliable sled out of what you had listed i would pick an Ultra. Tons of used parts for cheap, fairly quick..

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
[br]Must be a lot of bad 700 XCs out there than, because Ive seen 600s keep up with and sometimes even beat 700s time after time.
Mine runs strong. Very strong. Ive had it now for 5 seasons. Bone stock with nothing but good maintainence and a 121" ripsaw with no studs. Out ran an 05 viper last winter and hangs with my buddies 02 SRX in the deeper stuff. Your 600 might get the holeshot due to LESS power being more effective on the start but you aint got a prayer past 300 feet. 8-10" of powder and it isnt even close.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Look at the hp #'s. They are very close.

It is very likely. I had my butt handed to me many times on my 98 700 vs his 01 600.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Beating a Viper is nothing to brag about and an SRX's track lugs are too short and they are too heavy to be any good in powder, so nothing to brag about there either.
You might not think my sled would have a prayer past 300', but Ive been to many radar runs and have seen 600s beat 700s in 600' time after time after time.
If the bigblock 700 was so great, Polaris would still be making it. Yet, instead of still making the bigblock motors, Polaris is building more and more motors based off of the smallblock. Might it be bacause the smallblock is...hmmmm....better?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]Look at the hp #'s. They are very close.

It is very likely. I had my butt handed to me many times on my 98 700 vs his 01 600.
My 600 should be able to beat a non-VES 700. Exhaust valves make a big difference.
Even vs the '03 Pro-X 700 its very close. The Pro-X has some minor engine work, more studs, taller lugs and was running on the 93 octane fuel on the premium octane switch setting. Your Pro-X pulls about 2 sled lengths on me off the line, but after that we are pretty much even.
It will be interesting to see how it would go with my 600 running on 93 octane fuel on the premium setting and with the new 121" 1.25" lug Ripsaw.
I think both motors are great, but anyone who thinks that the 700 is so much faster than the 600 smallblock is kidding themselves. That smallblock 600 is a little hotrod.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Mines a freak thing. Ive read posts of others with the same sled that have been dissapointed for several reasons and ended up spending alot of r&d on clutching and jetting. I honestly dont know what I would do to this to improve on this one. My wifes 700 of the same year didnt have what this one does.

Better for what and in what environment? As with all things it depends on the environment conditions and what you consider to be the equalizer. My 440 as well as Skipponators gets the 700 out of the hole until it gets spooled up but its over pretty quick. A 50 mph roll on on good hardpack where the track is actually getting traction is entirely a different story. I can back out of my 700 doing 80 and hit it again and its right back up there. I think the 600's react similar to ves 440's with a little more. They sling shot out of the hole and can propell up to high speed. They hit the snow or alow themselves to spool down and it takes awhile to get back up again.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Mine doesnt have any problems spooling up. Ive got an EPI yellow primary spring with 10-62 weights and if you are cruising at 30 mph and pin it the revs go from 5,000 to 7,500 in the blink of an eye and they it tops out at about 8200 rpm.
The only time mine runs into problems is in powder. It wont quite pull max rpm if there is 3" or more of powder. It bogs a little and will only pull about 7500 rpm.
Even still, it beats the heck out of the '99 700 XC SP I had. The 700 had maybe 5 mph on it on the topend, but the 600 gets up to speed a lot quicker than the 700 did.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
[br]
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]Look at the hp #'s. They are very close.

My 600 should be able to beat a non-VES 700. Exhaust valves make a big difference.
Even vs the '03 Pro-X 700 its very close. The Pro-X has some minor engine work, more studs, taller lugs and was running on the 93 octane fuel on the premium octane switch setting. Your Pro-X pulls about 2 sled lengths on me off the line, but after that we are pretty much even.
It will be interesting to see how it would go with my 600 running on 93 octane fuel on the premium setting and with the new 121" 1.25" lug Ripsaw.
I think both motors are great, but anyone who thinks that the 700 is so much faster than the 600 smallblock is kidding themselves. That smallblock 600 is a little hotrod.
You should be able to beat my pro x as I am losing 10-15 hp to the track angle and chassis.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I need to go riding with Octane. The curiosity is killing me now.

Seriously, if you get snow, would you be interested in being a tour guide? Never rode in your area. Same offer back to you if you ever want to ride in the Bemidji area. My pops grooms the trails up there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts