Snowmobile Fanatics banner

I need help Identifying a part.

900 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  dl_sledding 
#1 ·
I have a 1993 Ski-Doo Safari Deluxe that I aquired through a garage sale and I found when I opened this part it appeared like it holds oil and it was empty. This is located next to the belt on the snowmobile. I attached photos of the part. If anyone can tell me what the part is it would be extremely useful thanks in advance.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
This is your chain case which converts the belt driven clutch power from the engine to a chain/gear ratio that drives the track. While I'm not familiar with this model there must be a bolt/plug about 1/3rd of the way up from the bottom of that housing that is used to check the fluid level. Remove the bolt, check and see if fluid spills out. If not, look for leaks. This fluid should be changed regularly. There is likely a drain bolt in the very bottom, found on the underside of the sled to drain said oil. Replace with any synthetic chain case oil of your choice. Good luck.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I think (stress THINK) that there should be a dipstick somewhere on the chaincase; if not, then (as whitexc said) there is a plugged hole about a quarter to a third of the way up from the bottom of the case. There isn't a lot of oil in there (8-12 ounces). Pull the battery and you should be able to see what we're talking about. Also, I don't believe there's a drain plug at the bottom, I think you have to pull the cover off. This also promotes clean-out: if you have the cover off, it's easy enough to spray it out with carb or brake cleaner, then wipe it dry. It will also allow you to inspect the chain and gears, and check the chain tension.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.