Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i went out about 3 weeks ago and bought a 2004 mxz rev 600 .h.o..now my buddy is getting his new sled today at 12..but he got a mxz 500ss trail ..looks just like mine..but the dealer told him that its not a 500 it is a 600 motor..ski doo had a bunch of 600 motors and put them in the 500 frames..what up with that..he said the title sayes 597 cc..what do you think guys

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ski-doo wizard is right the 500ss is the older version of the 600 before they developed the H.O. with 10% more horses. I bought a H.O. in a renegade last year and the difference from the old 600(500ss) is noticeable.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
exactly, the 500ss is the last model 600 series, one hell of a motor sold as a 500, the new 600 is built on the same bottom end as 7 and 800's........[:)]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so asuming the weight ratio..is the same between us ..will there be a noticable difference between the 2 sleds..in h.p or bottom end ..and top end..im just wondering if the money difference i payed for mine is worth it..thanks for you help ...johnny

·
Registered
322 Posts
10 percent more power is equal to probably over 10 hp...it should be about the same difference from say a 6 to 7 or 7 to 8. But chances are you'll notice the difference for sure.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok ..i love a challange...so ..what could he do to his sled to beat me..i want to know so i can do it first to my sled..the kid that got the 500 ss..is like the kind of person to let you know he is always better..like for example..i bought a 2003 yamaha r1 this year.he got one to but he put n.o.s on it just to be ahead of me..but the funny thing is he cant even ride as good as me ..he dont wheelie or do stoppies like i do..but everytime we get on a long road..the nos comes on..just to blow me away..then he will be like ha we got the same bike but you cant do that..so what im getting to is..what can i do to my sled to make him regret getting the 500 ss..i want to just add some thing to it that he cant tell the difference from stock,,you smell what im stepping in?thanks ..for all your help..

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Well the first tip is don't tell him about TUSF. That will put him at a huge disadvantage right off the bat.

The cheapest and easiest horsepower is just to have everything perfect. Belt and track tension, carbs adjusted to perfection, everything lubricated. There are some good threads out here on that type of stuff, just use the search feature. Other than that the guys will tell you one of the best things you can do for your sled is clutch it and stud it to get the power down to the ground. If he still has you beat then there's not much you can do that won't be noticed unless you sneak a new motor in there. but it sounds like you have more horsies already. If you're super tuned and he's a little sloppy with that kind of stuff you may not need anything more.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i was thinking to clutch it even before he got his sled..but i dont know where to get a clutch kit or how much they cost or what kind to get....and i was going to studd it to..thank for your help.....

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Just search the forum for the word clutch kit and you will have more info than you can digest at one sitting. Also search for catalog we are always talking about where the best place to get stuff at.

A few of them are

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/common/Frontpage.jsp?Store=Main

http://www.mcbperformance.com/

http://www.jrgraham.com/

·
Registered
552 Posts
Skidoo people!!! yay[:D]

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
you won't need to do anything unless he does, the 600 h.o. will mop up the 500ss, i've got buddies like that too[:D]

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
The biggest complaint from REV owner is lack of performance parts available. Just check out the latest magazines in the readers question/complaint area. It seems Ski doo already got just about all hp they could out of those moters. There are a couple clutch kits out there. There are pipes and silencers,but hp gain with them is minimal. An aftermarket pipe only gives you 4hp, a silencer will only save you 6-8 lbs. of weight reduction whick would be equal to 1 hp. So you are very limited on what you can do.

·
Registered
552 Posts
This is off topic but i need to know somthing. I know pretty sure what i should do but i want another opinion. should i be putting my suspension a good deal stiffer for when im going to be jumping? I have a renegade 600 [zx] so anybody who has one , what do you do?> Im just getting a second opinion whether i should worry about making it stiffer at time or not. I love my sled and want to run it the best i can, so any little info would be great.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
If you will be doing a lot of jumping i would make it stiffer. However if it is just the occasional jump i wouldnt worry about it until you feel yourself bottom out. If that begins happening then you know to go stiffer.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks alot man. I figured as much, a second opinion is great though. I do a good deal of jumping and high performance trail type riding. So ill just quicky whip out the tools and make it stiffer.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
"So ill just quicky whip out the tools and make it stiffer."

I dont want to hear that come out of your mouth again. ROFLMAO :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Originally posted by ACEXLT
[br]The biggest complaint from REV owner is lack of performance parts available. Just check out the latest magazines in the readers question/complaint area. It seems Ski doo already got just about all hp they could out of those moters. There are a couple clutch kits out there. There are pipes and silencers,but hp gain with them is minimal. An aftermarket pipe only gives you 4hp, a silencer will only save you 6-8 lbs. of weight reduction whick would be equal to 1 hp. So you are very limited on what you can do.
that was the case a year ago...i have seen a lot of performance parts coming out for the rev just in the past 2 months....the best one i will get is track studding and a TEAM roller secondary. pipes and silencers dont offer as much on the rev 600 as the 800.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts