Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, Okay. I'm kind of mad right now. I've seen so many disses about 4-stroke sleds. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THEM!? I bet that everyone here drives a 4-stroke car or truck, and I bet some of the new yammies are making a couple more horsepower stock than some of the small cars. Someone said "4-strokes are for farmers" someone else said "4-strokes are like tampons. Every b!t!h has one" Honestly. This is really bothering me. Really, 4-strokes are the future of sledding. Your gonna have to get used them sooner or later. Why not just now? The 1000 cc yamaha motor makes about as much power as a Rev 800. ANd guess what, 4-strokes, they don't waste as much gas or oil, they don't foul as many plugs, and you can pack a lot more miles before having to rebuild. Someone, please tell me exactly what they don't like about the 4-stroke sleds. Everyone says there slow, but, last time I checked, they fastest snowmobile in the world is a 4-stroke turbo. SO, PLEASE! Someone tell me what they have against 4-stroke sleds!

Okay, my rants over ( for now ).

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
let me ask you this....go on the how to form and see how long it takes to change oil in that phazer. What happens if you want to change your oil every ride? I could be in town by the time you just got your oil changed

·
Registered
526 Posts
4 strokes are heavy and less power per cc
Sure there cleaner and less maintance but the same goes for high performance cars, you wouldnt say why did you buy that 67 mustang when you could have bought the NEW SMART CAR[:eek:)]
two Stroke POWER[}:)]

·
Registered
526 Posts
Originally posted by Luke68Polaris
[br]let me ask you this....go on the how to form and see how long it takes to change oil in that phazer. What happens if you want to change your oil every ride? I could be in town by the time you just got your oil changed
theres no way you would change your oil every ride

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Do you have some crystal ball that shows you the future of sleds? I think 2 strokes are gonna dominate for a long long time. They can be made to run cleaner, cheaper, and be as reliable. The bodies only last so long anyways. And when something does go wrong with a 4 stroke engine its usually cheaper to buy another sled. Even Yamaha's break.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The idea of a 4-stroke motor in a sled is absolutely rediculous to me. Maybe if you only ride trails, but I dont, I like to bang up the ditches, roost up the hills, and take in some scenery (while sailing through the air). I just dont see a 4 stroke getting the job done, my sleds get ridden hard, usually something major breaks in the chassis or suspension before the motor even starts to go bad. What I am saying is that for someone like me, even a 2 stroke motor will outlast the chassis its in, whats the point of having a sled with 30,000 miles on it when the suspension is shot, the chassis is tweaked all over, and by then I would have gone through at least 4 tracks? also when you rebuild, it will probly cost more than 3 top end rebuilds on a 2 stroke. They are also heavy, and alot harder to work on than most sleds. leave them for utility.....

there, thats what I have against 4 stroke sleds.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
im a die hard 2stroke guy, but at first i didnt really care about the 4 stroke in a sled. we all knew sooner or latter it was coming. i like them more and more eachday. you no what il prolly end up with one in the next 10 years (im16 now), once the phazer gets a bigger power plant. but for the time being and until i can afford 2 sleds, il stick to my 2 stroke.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
We have had 12432421354124 of these topics you couldnt pick the reasons out of those for why people dont like them. You obviously havent read any of them otherwise you wouldnt be posting this topic. All they are is a pissing match so why start another?

Seemed like a lot of geusses from the facts you have. No rock solid evidence just some assumptions. You dont know they are the future. Im pretty sure the fastest sled isnt a four banger but feel free to prove me wrong. 1000cc fours run with 800cc twos. Well if that was the case then why are they in the 600cc class?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Every Alpha male must believe that what they have is the biggest and baddest. Therefore whenever an invention comes along that trumps what they have, the alpha male has to "Bad-Talk" it to make what they have seem more superior.

I think the Yamaha 4-Strokes are awesome sleds, however I prefer my REV, and probably always will.

Do I think my 2-Stroke is better? NO

Do I think my 2-Stroke is better for me? YES

I can admit it, and I think everyone else should too.

·
Registered
893 Posts
i love 2-strokes but hey, i dint see ANYTHING wrong with the 4-stroke sleds. and your right they are faster than many small cars today.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
boo 4 strokes i love my 2 stroke and will keep it forever rewbuilding the engine over and over replacing everything on it before i buy a 4 stroke sled

·
Registered
69 Posts
4 strokes are not efficient at making power compared to a 2 stroke. Yea you can get 20,000 miles out of them or whatever, but your gonna have to weld your chassis's peices back together and rebuild your suspension like 20 times before 20,000 miles. Just like yooperrider said the chassis's won't last so whats the point. Its less power for more wieght. Plus the new 2tec skidoo 2 cycles are EPA friendly 2 cycles. The 2tec 600 puts out 120hp, the yamaha vectorGT 1000 also puts out 120hp. Your figure out which one is better at making power from that.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I think the reason we dis 4 strokes is, because of how swayed the playing feild is towards making the 4 strokes look good. IE 1000 4 stroke vs. 600 2 stroke, I sure as hell hope the 4 stroke wins its got a 400 cc advantage. Also, most think of 4 strokes as the tree huggers friend. Sure you don't have to rebuild a 4 stroke as often (not always true) but it also costs over twice as much to rebuild a 4 stroke so in the end you're probably in the same boat.

For me I will stick with two strokes hopefully as long as I ride.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I am still wondering why this is such a big issue. My apex is awesome. For me it's the peak of snowmobile perfection. Unless you've rode an apex, or any other 4 stroke, the only thing you are allowed to dis is the looks (as long as you've seen one) or the sound ( as long as you heard one). I once thought the rev chassis was the worst thing for snowmobiling until I rode one in the UP and WOW. I used to think that I would never go from a triple to a twin, but when I rode some big twins I experienced another WOW. Then I went to the apex and I went OMFG... Just for curiosity, I'm going to start a poll...

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All this treehugger stuff and blah blah blah. Now. With a 2-stroke. Your gonna spend all this money rebuilding your engine every year ( for some people ), when the 4-stroke guys are just re-enforcing there suspension and tunnel. Honestly, so what if they don't have all this crazy amount of horsepower. Who says every single sled on the market has to race? I'm pretty sure a majority of the riders in the world trail ride, so, why not get a nice reliable 4-stroke. I can honestly say I've had engine troubles with every single snowmobile I've owned ( all 2-strokes ) and my friend richard who beats the crap out of his 4-stroke phazer has no problems. Or Steve ( my neighbor ) who rides an RX-1. The RX has I think over 5000 miles on it, and has no problems. Not trying to start a fight here. I just don't find anything wrong with 4-stroke sleds. So what if they don't have horsepower like crazy? They still have a lot of torq.

Okay. Anyone on this forum who rides a 4-stroke snowmobile, do you change your oil EVERY SINGLE RIDE!? NO! ( At least I sure hope not ).

Think of it this way:
1 quart of 2-stroke oil - $5 ( you may need several of these a ride )
1 Spark Plug - $1+ ( you may also need a few of these a ride )
5-10 miles to the gallon at 2.25 a gallon or more ( on a decent percent of the 2-stroke sleds ridden on here )

Now, remember. Not everyone can afford a BRAND NEW SDI SKI-DOO! So, it get's good gas mileage. And, a 4-stroke, you may need to change the oil every 1-3,000 miles. You may need to change the spark plugs every 1-8,000 miles. And you may even get 20+ miles to the gallon.

I know a lot of people on here love horsepower, and I'm cool with that. But, unless your a racer, why do you need all this power? I think I'm going to be switching to a 4-stroke within 5 years. Sure, I would love a rev to, but, I just like the 4-stroke sleds.

NOW, like I posted in my 1st post. Please post what you don't like about the 4-stroke sleds. Also, if you like horsepower, and you have money, I know you can get a good solid 280 horsepower out of an Apex while still being able to ride the trails

·
Registered
87 Posts
one of my friends has a 06 f7 and one has a 06 switchback, side by side theyre not that different. f7 usually gets it by a few lengths in a half mile.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Originally posted by extremesummerfilms
[br]All this treehugger stuff and blah blah blah. Now. With a 2-stroke. Your gonna spend all this money rebuilding your engine every year ( for some people ), when the 4-stroke guys are just re-enforcing there suspension and tunnel. Honestly, so what if they don't have all this crazy amount of horsepower. Who says every single sled on the market has to race? I'm pretty sure a majority of the riders in the world trail ride, so, why not get a nice reliable 4-stroke. I can honestly say I've had engine troubles with every single snowmobile I've owned ( all 2-strokes ) and my friend richard who beats the crap out of his 4-stroke phazer has no problems. Or Steve ( my neighbor ) who rides an RX-1. The RX has I think over 5000 miles on it, and has no problems. Not trying to start a fight here. I just don't find anything wrong with 4-stroke sleds. So what if they don't have horsepower like crazy? They still have a lot of torq.

WOW.... who rebuilds thier engine every year? Your friend richard is riding a BRAND NEW SLED, how could you possible know if it will develope problems or not in the future? And as for your neighbor steve with his RX-1 with 5000 miles, OH, WOW, my 91 indy 500 has 8600 miles and no problems with the motor.....

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
You see if you expose some of the sales hype and myths you get branded a "basher"!!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Originally posted by xtralettucetomatoe580
[br] Im pretty sure the fastest sled isnt a four banger but feel free to prove me wrong. 1000cc fours run with 800cc twos. Well if that was the case then why are they in the 600cc class?
I personally saw a stock 2006 Attak fairly beat a 2005 Renegade 800 with a 1.75" lug track down a ditch in Michigan. I know both the guys driving and the guy on the Attak had never touched that sled before, it was a dealers sled. The guy on the Renegade was driving his primary sled and is a very good rider/ ex-racer. I would highly doubt that the top-of-the-line 1000cc fours run with only 600cc's. Ya ya, well what about the Nytro, with that sled I think Yamaha could step it up a little bit. I don't think there the fastest sled out there but they are for sure not slow.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.