Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was happily braaaping along on Saturday in some crappy snow by Delano MN when I unexpectedly flew over my handlebars and smashed my head on my hood. I'd gone into a steep and deep hole that was covered with canary grass and snow (some kind of tile outlet.) Upon further investigation I'd done some damage. My trailing arm was pushed straight back and had broken the thing that it mounts to toward the back. It also tore a small hole in my belly pan. It looks to me like I can replace that part if I remove the footrest. My question is how involved is this repair? All of this stuff is riveted on, and I don't know much about rivets. I've used pop rivets before, but I don't know if that's what you use on a sled. Also, where would I get heavy duty rivets like this if it could be repaired with a pop rivet gun? (This is on my XC SP 600 in the Edge Chassis)

I went to the Polaris dealer in Midland Michigan and they told me that I can't get this trailing arm mounting kit. They said it is part of the bulkhead or tunnel. It looks like the piece comes off to me?????? I'm going to take it off tomorrow and see if I can get someone to weld it for me. This looks like a piece that would be a pretty common thing to break so I can't understand why it wouldn't be replaceable.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
its usually quite involved. removing alot including belly pan.but ive only done them on a wedge and im not sure if theyre the same on as your edge. i never use any special rivets. i just go to the hardware store and pick the up. never had any problems.hopefully someone with a similar sled had the same problem and can help out more.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Buy the rivets right from the dealer that are made for that area of the sled.
There are alot of different types of rivets for each part of the sled. Might be a little more than the rivets from the hardware store but then you won,t have any problems down the road.
Been there, done that!!!

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
You can probably get a trailing arm mount kit, which includes a sheet of instructions and the required rivets.

It is a pain in the a$$ to do, I have replaced 2 of em.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
First of all I'm wondering what in the hell you were riding around Delano, MN for on Saturday. There was barely any snow, and still isn't any. Second of all even if there was any snow (which there was only snow then where it had drifted) it had to have been wet and heavy snow. If I were you I wouldn't have been riding and you wouldn't have this problem but seeing as you did and have the problem I can tell you that you're going to need to get quite involved with fixing it and I would use the rivets that Polaris suggests. Here's Mikers XC when he hit a culvert at 25-30 mph. That's around $2500 worth of damage. It adds up quickly.
[attachment=55544][attachment=55545]
[attachment=55546]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pathetic thing is that I trailered for an hour and a half to get to the crappy snow in Delano. I just looked at the NOAA snowcover map and drove to the closest deepest spot. Low snowcover had nothing to do with this accident. At least I was riding instead of sitting at my computer and whining about how horrible the snow conditions are! Even if I have done $200 in damage I'm still happy because I own sleds to ride them. I was really sick of sitting in the garage and polishing it with a diaper.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I think you are looking at alot more money then a couple hundred buck especially if you have tunnel damage, some pics would go a long way here.

·
Registered
625 Posts
You can buy that part,its called a trailing arm kit mount.Use Polaris rivots or the same hardness that they use.I used small short bolts and rivot combo.Never had no problem.I tried to have the old one welded but didnt hold long.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Originally posted by sickler
[br]You can buy that part,its called a trailing arm kit mount.Use Polaris rivots or the same hardness that they use.I used small short bolts and rivot combo.Never had no problem.I tried to have the old one welded but didnt hold long.
I used grade 8, 1/4" bolts when I put the trailing arm mounts back onto my prox. Even with one of those massive rivet guns I couldn't get them set to my liking.

The mount isn't that expensive. You'll probably have to take out a number of bellypan rivets to get at the rivets on the mount....whihc isnt a big deal. Then start drilling. Not too difficult. Any wrinkles in the tunnel around that area can be pounded straight. Had to do that on mine too, can't even tell that were was slight damage there.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Originally posted by rubi
[br]The pathetic thing is that I trailered for an hour and a half to get to the crappy snow in Delano. I just looked at the NOAA snowcover map and drove to the closest deepest spot. Low snowcover had nothing to do with this accident. At least I was riding instead of sitting at my computer and whining about how horrible the snow conditions are! Even if I have done $200 in damage I'm still happy because I own sleds to ride them. I was really sick of sitting in the garage and polishing it with a diaper.
I wasn't riding because I care for my snowmobile and am smart enough to know that there wasn't a sufficient amount of snow to be out on my sled. Thats just stupid in my own opinion. I also own my sled to ride it. Do you think that I sit in the garage and jack off to it or what? Ya I enjoy cleaning it and making it look nice, but when the snow falls I get out as fast and as much as I can and ride hard. Honestly you just started an argument that wasn't worth starting. I was just wondering why you would even think to ride on that snow. And didn't mean to offend you in my first post if you thought I was trying to.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i was riding the same snow but my sled is kinda old to.anyhow its not to bad to replace. it will take a few hours. the worst part is getting the rivits out. but once you get them out the worst parts over.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Welcome to the forum rubi, it bites when we have to search for snow, but unlike edge600, while he is in his study halls watching it snow, waiting for the bus to bring him home, we will be out riding. good luck on the repair, no argument started or finished here.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by pinkpower33
[br]Welcome to the forum rubi, it bites when we have to search for snow, but unlike edge600, while he is in his study halls watching it snow, waiting for the bus to bring him home, we will be out riding. good luck on the repair, no argument started or finished here.
Thanks pinkpower. It's good to see someone's got my back on this discussion. I just got sick of reading a million posts about how there's no snow so I did something about it. I found some snow and I rode. I might post some pictures of the damage and my attempt to fix it. I'm also trying to change my track and put new gears in. When it's done I'll go and ride it in questionable snow conditions again. I don't have to go to study hall or work because I'm laid off for the winter. I'll be in Michigan for the big dump on Sunday and Monday and I'll post pictures of that too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did a very similar thing to my sled last year. ordered in the part from the dealer as well as all the rivets needed. you can go to www.partsland.com and count how many you need. me and a budy did this in about a night. was not fun at all. i replaced my belly pan at the time as well. i found it easier with the belly pan all the way off, then tip it on its side. I looked every where for a air rivet gun that you can rent, but didnt have any luck. I highly recommend you ask your friends and whoever if they have one. otherwise i think you can buy one for around $70. I decided not to buy one cause i didnt think i would use it much afterwards. You more than likely will need another set of hands while doing this. If u decide not to by an air rivet gun, its nice to have 2 sizes of guns. the normal one and the long handles so u can get the most leverage, make you have everything nice and tight together. i think thats about it... Good luck man!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm putting on a new track so that explains why the sled is so torn apart (in the first picture.) It was a major pain getting all the rivets out. I ground a big hole in my footrest with the angle grinder, but eventually it was ready for installation of new parts (second picture.) The part came as a kit with all the rivets and stuff included. The part was not available for my model of sled. My dealer in Alexandria gave me a better answer about the parts than the dealer in Michigan. He found the kit for a 2003 ProX. It was odd that was the first year the part was available separate from getting a whole new tunnel. The third picture shows the new trailing arm mount installed. The ProX part is way beefier than the one I took off my XCSP. The gauge of metal the part is made of is nearly twice as thick, and the tube that the trailing arm mount bolt goes through is reinforced. I'm kind of glad my driveshaft and track aren't on. It sure makes it easier to get at things. The last picture shows where I'm at now: with the footrest and bellypan reinstalled. After 36 rivets my hands are shot! Those bulkhead rivets are so strong I can barely get them to snap with just a small handheld rivet gun. Some of the rivets aren't in there perfectly straight like I'd like them to be, but I can lift the whole sled by the footrest and it feels very solid. Tomorrow I'm not looking forward to putting the track and driveshaft back on. I'll probably be on the forums all day tomorrow asking questions constantly so I don't screw up everything.

Maybe I'm being presumptuous posting my project like I know what I'm doing. I really don't! Not like the other mechanical wizards that post on this site anyway. Maybe it'll be helpful for other newbies that are attempting projects that they aren't sure they'll be able to complete.
Sorry about the long post. I'm just trying to prove that I'm a worthy sledneck that wrenches more than he rides! .[attachment=59477][attachment=59478][attachment=59479][attachment=59480]

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Rubi, nice work on the sheetmetal. Keep at it and you'll be riding before you know it. Keep us posted.

You never know what you can do until you try, and it looks like your trying and succeeding! I would've told you that the air riveter is well worth it. No hand fatigue and tight/squart rivets. Tools might be expensive, but they are worth the investment. Who knows when you would have used it again, but at least you would have it.

-Sofa

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update for yesterday's accomplishments:

I got a late start yesterday because my hands were so sore from riveting. The driveshaft went in alright. Bearings look like they're in good shape. Had to put the flange on twice because I forgot the speedo key. That was just the beginning of doing things multiple times though. I dropped the skid in and thought to myself, "Wow, that was easy." Then I tried to put the rear axle in... after 45 minutes or so, I came to the conclusion it can't be done when the track is around the skid. So out comes the skid. Two minutes later, the axle is in, and I'm ready for round two. I put the skid in again and installed the front bolts. It was a little trickier with the rear axle in there, but not too bad. I couldn't get the rear bolts to line up though. I tried every combination of weight distribution I could think of, but I couldn't get the bolts to line up. So I unbolted the front, and bolted the back first. No progress. I remembered reading on here about putting a ratchet strap around something, but I didn't know what, and I don't have a ratchet strap. I was getting pretty pissed, because earlier I'd been bragging to my friend about how fast I was going to have the sled together. My bragging was already about three hours behind me, and I hadn't yet accomplished what I said I had already done! So I took the skid out again. I think I wanted to throw the skid in the woods and forget about ever snowmobiling again!!! With the skid out, I easily moved the rear part (I don't know what it's called) of the suspension forward. The torque arm (or whatever) had been pressed back against the rear scissor stop the last time I tried, so I flipped it forward. With that rear torque arm held against the front scissor stop, I dropped the skid in for the third time. Voila!!! Everything lined up perfectly!! Five or ten minutes and it was completely in. I've got two bearings to replace on wheels in the skid, and then I'm done with the suspension and track. I'm going to go fire up the heat in the garage now and try to finish this mess today.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm doing the same exact thing on my Ultra right now. Yes it is a pain in the ass, I feel your pain lol. Looks like you got it taken care of though, good luck.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I finished everything up around dark tonight. I didn't take any pictures of the finished product because I was too excited to take it outside to see if it would work. It took forever to start. (It didn't help that the first 25 pulls I had the fuel turned off.) I got it going and everything seemed to work. I ran it on a stand and I don't think that the 1.5" track was hitting the coolers. I'll have to check that closer tomorrow. I didn't hear it hitting, so maybe it wasn't. I rode it around the back yard for a few minutes and the gearing sure feels quick. (I replaced 23-39's with 22-40's) I sure couldn't get the rear end to slide around the corners at all. That track sure hooks up laterally better than I thought it would. Tomorrow I'm going to take it out on the lake to try it out some more. I'll post again tomorrow about how everything turned out.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All my sled fixing work passed the test so far. I put on 30 miles today, and so far so good. I love the lower gearing, and the 1.5" track is working nicely too. Although we only have 3" of snow in Alexandria, we found some deep snow on the south side of the lake. It was drifted in really nice in spots. Here's the finished product:

[attachment=59926]

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts