Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i was riding to a friends last night the temp light cam on then the sled started acting up i pushed it a bit to see if it would go away it didnt so i stopped and turned the sled of.and after i shut the sled of the coolers were so hot i couldnt even touch them

i checked my gaskets there all good no leaks. topped up the antifrezze and did what the dealer told me to do to get the air bubbles out .

so now i let it run for like ten mins or 20 and the temp light comes on but the coolers on the sled arent even getting warm

can any one help me with this problem

·
Registered
23 Posts
My friend had the same thing happen it was some sort of impeller in the bottom of the engine. I can't remember what the part is called I am sure someone can chime in. Or it could always be a water pump I am told when they get hot they melt the blades of the impeller and it won't circulate the coolant. Let me know what it turns out to be.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
birtchy13 said:
temp light cam on then the sled started acting up i pushed it a bit to see if it would go away
right. that sounds like a genius idea!
will some times they come on cuz no snow is hitting the coolers so i punched it for a few to spin the snow up on to the coolers and it didnt go away so i shut it down.

and im going to pull the sled apart tomorrow morning and see if the belts gone or water pump cuz im suppose to go to the mountians before the snows all gone

hoping its just the belt

·
Registered
12 Posts
*******, I have a rumble/grinding coming from the tunnel; I was going to tear it all down and fix it but your ear plug idea sounds way easier... and cheaper!

As for the problem... when you say you topped up the antifreeze, why was it low? This is your first problem. Second, just because a dealer told you to do something (ie, how to remove air), don't take it as correct. I am not saying they are all bad, but some are horrible and will not stand liable for their advice.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
And your taking this sled out west??? Good luck on the motor lasting.
The water pump belt ALSO runs the oil pump. The red temp. light is there for a reason, STOP and see what is wrong, not run it for a while and see if it goes out.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
make sure the shaft the belt runs on has no play. I had a bearing go out on mine once which caused a belt to break.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the shaft is good and im going to premix my sled a bit now but how much mix should i put with the oil pump still working im wanting to do this just to make sure i dont blow my engine up since it has new top end and the bigger crank in it

·
Registered
7 Posts
just add like 2 or 3 oz to fuel tank and it will be fine just bring plugs cuz u burn them up quick but id rather pay a couple bucks on plugs then have to rebuild the motor

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
If you are using it as a preventative measure if the pump isn't working 2-3 oz isn't going to work, you would need to run a 40:1 ratio or somewhere in there. You're going to be fouling plugs like crazy.

If you ran your sled without an oil or water pump I'm afraid that you will be fixing your top end sooner than later.

I think for your sake, showing the experience you have with mechanics I think it would be best if you kept this sled bone stock and refrained from the twins and any other additional mod that would make the sled tempermental.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no i replaced the belt and what not and i rebuild sleds all the time man i now how to deal with pipes when u pipe a sled u have to do clutching and some time jetting it if u dont have the compansator

also its using the oil injection and every thing i just want to have my gas mixed a bit just in chase its not set up right

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
wildcat-700 said:
ok i was riding to a friends last night the temp light cam on then the sled started acting up i pushed it a bit to see if it would go away it didnt so i stopped and turned the sled of.and after i shut the sled of the coolers were so hot i couldnt even touch them

i checked my gaskets there all good no leaks. topped up the antifrezze and did what the dealer told me to do to get the air bubbles out .

so now i let it run for like ten mins or 20 and the temp light comes on but the coolers on the sled arent even getting warm

[highlight=yellow]can any one help me with this problem[/highlight=yellow]
You have posted MANY MANY threads of your problems with sleds, it seems like the only problem I see is that you like to break sh*t.
You can ride a sled that is stock without having to piss away several hundred dollars on mods. mods don't change the value of sled- because you have $500 worth of upgrades doesn't mean the sled is worth $500 more. There goes a saying, "You can put diamonds on a pig, but it's still a pig."
And both a stock sled and modded sled are equally fun to ride! Yeah I see the joy in modding a sled, making it more personalized, something you created and can be proud of. But ya gotta do it right, like the_hog or madcow, otherwise you'll encounter problems.

I have seen that you are always selling sleds too- on the same site you're posting your problems with sleds
That doesn't make sense. Everyone on SF sees that you can't keep a sled trouble-free, so why would they want to buy a sled from you?

Sorry if I'm being a dick, but a little common sense goes a long ways.
If you keep a sled stock and take care of it, there is no reason you should have any problems.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
wildcat-700 said:

[highlight=yellow]can any one help me with this problem[/highlight=yellow]
You have posted MANY MANY threads of your problems with sleds, it seems like the only problem I see is that you like to break sh*t.
You can ride a sled that is stock without having to piss away several hundred dollars on mods. mods don't change the value of sled- because you have $500 worth of upgrades doesn't mean the sled is worth $500 more. There goes a saying, "You can put diamonds on a pig, but it's still a pig."
And both a stock sled and modded sled are equally fun to ride! Yeah I see the joy in modding a sled, making it more personalized, something you created and can be proud of. But ya gotta do it right, like the_hog or madcow, otherwise you'll encounter problems.

I have seen that you are always selling sleds too- on the same site you're posting your problems with sleds
That doesn't make sense. Everyone on SF sees that you can't keep a sled trouble-free, so why would they want to buy a sled from you?

Sorry if I'm being a dick, but a little common sense goes a long ways.
If you keep a sled stock and take care of it, there is no reason you should have any problems.

I fully agree. If you want a mod sled it's a lot of trial and error and learning on your own. You sled will react to the mods that you have done to it in a different way than anyone else's. Sure you can get baseline tuning from others with the same sleds, but ultimately, you have to be able to know how to tune and figure things out on your own through a lot of trial and error which sometimes results in costly repairs. For instance, your twins aren't simply clutching and a little bit of jetting. There have been days when riding my mod I have had to rejet 3-4 times a day to compensate for the temperature changes.

You have displayed your lack of mechanical compentancy when you "i pushed it a bit to see if it would go away." My mom and sister have done the same thing when they've explained the "clicking sound" or the "red light" in their cars, they also figured that it would go away until their cars stopped moving.

Sorry to say but a box stock pull and go sled should be in your future. If you like riding sleds it's a lot more fun being able to get out and ride a reliable sled for a whole day rather than tune for two hours everyday that you ride or have to sit on a forum and hope others have the same outdated set up you're running and have some answers.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok will i dint know this 800 was bagged when i got it and i was out on it all day fixing the stupid little problems and stuff it had and my dads friend who has twin pipes come out and rode the sled and i have it all set up right i havent had to do any jetting and i ride the sled in +10 weather and up to -30 out and the sleds runs the exact same it also has more punch and get up and go with the twin set of pipes on it

also i only did it for like a second when i did punch it i went maybe 4 feet and turned it off cuz i new the light had to come on for a reason

also i have bought lots of sleds this winter and it didnt matter if one was stock or not they all had problems that had to be fixed before i sold them and thats what i did

know im riding a 2001 rmk 800 and it dont matter wat brand or size of sled they all have problems stock or not

yes stock is more reliable and less likely to have problems but i got this sled stock and it to had problems

so if no one under stands how hard and stressfull it is buying sleds and notihng but troubles after riding a few times then u havent had my luck with sleds i dont even ride them hard i hit a few jumps but also i do is mostly carving and wheeliing also a lot of playing on hills with trees where u have to carve around to get up the hills

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
^^Yes. You have to learn how to closely inspect a used sled when you buy it. I have purchased 20 used Polaris's. I make the previous owners look like fools when I tell them exactly what has happened to the sled in its lifetime, and I do it all just by taking a close look at the sled.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
will i looked this one over good and it ran awsome he showed me the bills on what he spent to fix the crank problem and what not i couldnt tell if a water pump belt was recked because it happened while riding so i wouldnt have been able to see it was wore when looking at the sled to buy it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts