Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to buy heavy duty rear springs for my 1997 zr 440. I swear its like pulling teeth trying to buy them from my dealer! He says that i can not buy springs unless i know how many coils i want, What angle i want, what spring thickness i want! What the heck! All i want is heavy duty spring! Why cant i just order heavy duty springs!?

My sled has such a bad sag and it bottoms out as soon as i stand on it so there are no suspension what so ever in the rear. What should i do?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i know my rear shock is due for a rebuild! But i thought the springs control the sag and the ride? And the shock just absorbs the bumps and stuff?

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Musky30 said:
Well i know my rear shock is due for a rebuild! But i thought the springs control the sag and the ride? And the shock just absorbs the bumps and stuff?
You are mostly right. However, there is compressed nitrogen in the shock which will add some spring effect to it. It isn't going to be enough to fix your issues though. To be sure you could take the shock out. If you can compress it without too much effort it likely needs a rebuild.

·
Registered
394 Posts
maybe a silly question but ill ask it anyway, how tight are your front springs on the front shocks of the sled, you could have them too tight and its torqueing the back of the sled giving it the effect it would have if the front skis were on dollies and the track wasnt.

My girlfriends sled was having the same problems and i too thought i would try the rear suspension shock first, i sent it out to be rebuilt, put it back in, and it was still the same, come to find out the front springs on the shocks going to the skis were too far up the shock, i loosened them DOWN the shock and BAM, fixed the problem.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I too have had issues with Babbitts and will never deal with them again. On that note, I always call to order parts with the correct part no.(s) to assure I receive what I need.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I know how that is, got a dealer in town(WestSideRecreation) and the guy is a total @$$(actually told my dad that he wouldn't do warranty work on his sled because he bought it somewhere else) so we go 30 miles to a small dealer(Jim's Snowmobile and Marine) in Holdingford and they treat us like family.

will_5 said:
www.countrycat.net

2010 AC dealer of the year for a reason.

My dad bought his Crossfire from them and the kid doing the sale was in such a big @$$ hurry to get out that a lot of stuff wasn't covered that should have been mentioned (took a half an hour when it should have taken 2 hours). Well, my dad ended up with a $250 store credit and a personal appology from the owner.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah i wish someone would open shop close to me like it used to be before bad habbitts (babbitts) bought out them all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts