Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm new to the site and have a ton of questions about sledding. I want to add an inch and half track to my xc sp 600. It is a late 2000 edge model. I called Tracks USA and the guy there told me I'd need to trim the lugs to make it fit. Has anyone here put an 1.5" track on this sled? If I need to modify the track, how much trouble is that? Any suggestions about what track to get would be appreciated too. I took this sled to Idaho and rode in Island Park and the Big Holes a few weeks ago. I know a 121" track isn't the best set-up out there, but I'm hoping having a deeper lug will help me out in the deep stuff. What's your opinion?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
well....1st off if you are buying a new track why would you spend the time cutting lugs when you can just buy one that fits to start with?....just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
a 1.5" should fit just fine.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just thought that if I only needed to trim the width of the heat exchangers, I'd have quite a bit more lug than if I just went with an 1.25". Am I going to notice much of a difference between the stock track and the 1.5"? I was sledding in deep snow that was pouring over the hood and windshield and I just think I need more lug. Since it doesn't snow anymore where I live, I think I'll be riding out west most of this season.

·
Registered
586 Posts
i just bought my 01 xcsp 2 months ago ... it had a 1.5inch lug on it when i bought it and it runs fine! :)

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
a stock track (usually an inch or under) vs a 1.5" is no comparison, especially for any kind of deep snow riding!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I put a 1.25" Camoplast on my '99 Phazer and it did wonders over the 5/8" "stock" track in powder.
If you dont want to extend your track/suspension, put on the longest lug you can and go have fun!
That's what it is about!

·
Registered
62 Posts
You should have no issues with a 1.5 on your sled. I had a 1.25 on my 01 600XCsp and now a 1.75 on my 04 800XCsp. The 1.75 rubbed a bit on the exchangers but has notched itself LOL.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
you can buy a notched track for your sled from camoplast

·
Registered
351 Posts
The lugs might help a little I have a 136x2 on my 700 and I ride I.P. and even with that I get in trouble. Might look into getting an extension to the 136 I know right now I am looking to lengthen to a 144/151. If you are looking into coming out this way a lot it might be the way to go to get the real effect of I.P. This years snow is nothing yet it is only going to get deeper and doesnt compare to other years. Just my .02 want you to get all you can when out here to Idaho![:D]

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
A deeper lugged track helps, but going longer helps more for floatation and traction. Why not just buy a 136" track and extension kit from tracksusa? That is what I would do if it were me choosing. Heck! 144" is even better and doesn't penalize you as the extension is tipped up in the rear.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Agreed. I did not notice that much of a difference in ride when I went from the 121" track to the 144" track.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just stopped at Tracks USA tonight and picked up a new track. I got the 1.5" Intense Crossover track (I think that's what it's called.) He had a used one that had less than 150 miles on it for $300. I thought that was too good a deal to pass up. New, it was $425 for a fully clipped track like the one I got. I looked at the extensions and thought about that for awhile, but I still need to ride this sled in Minnesota, where I think I'll prefer the 121". Big Johnson- don't worry about me getting all I can out of Idaho, because I do have an 800 RMK 151"x2" sitting in my friends yard in Driggs. Do you want to show me around the Big Holes when I'm out next?

·
Registered
351 Posts
We will have to see when your out again if I am in town or not but hell ya Ill go ridin. I am heading up to IP this weekend with the wife to do some trails. She is really new to snowmobiling so I wont be able to do any hard boondocking. Just PM me when you are heading out this way and we will hook up. I dont the trails and riding uo there to much being this is my first real year riding but hey I am sure I can find some locals that will head up with us! [BeerPull]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts