Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. . . and headed out to the Farmer's Almanac. I am on the virge of crying like a 3 year old with a skinned knee:

"Winter will be quite a bit milder than normal. Temperatures will average three to five degrees above normal. Despite relatively mild temperatures on average, it will be cold in early to mid-November, late December, and early February. Expect a drier than normal winter with below-normal snowfall. Precipitation will be 30 to 50 percent below normal. The snowiest periods will be in mid-November and early February.

April and May will be a bit cooler and drier than normal. While there will be snow showers in mid-April, there will not be any big spring snowstorms.

The summer will be hotter than normal, with dry weather continuing in the south and near-normal rainfall in the north. The hottest temperatures will occur in early June and in early and mid-July.

September will be noticeably cooler than normal despite a warm start and mild finish. October will be colder than normal in the north, a bit milder than normal in the south. Precipitation should be a bit above normal in the north, a bit below in the south."

AAHHHHH!!!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I am hoping that we get buried this year we have had enough of these warm dry winters in the last couple of years. I will have good riding conditions no matter what it just mean driving farther to get to the really good stuff. Although after finding the good stuff last year, it doensn't matter to me if I have to drive to everytime I go.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point. . . you are now part of my support group. . .

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Was that farmer's almanac report for your area... The farmers almanac report i read was just the opposite, Cold and Snow. I will try to find the report. I think i posted it here a while back.....

·
Registered
124 Posts
If that goes for the same in the midwest, I am deeply depressed. Others have been saying the opposite like you said Darkstar. I think our best bet now is to hope and pray for LOTS OF SNOW.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone know a snow dance. . . If so, I am willing to learn.

·
Registered
98 Posts
One thing I have learned over the years is weather forcasting is educated guessing. Weathermen have enough trouble predicting what will happen tomorrow let alone this winter. I have been a skier/sledder for years and have always prayed for awesome winters. Last year the Northeast had a treat even though at about this time last year they were calling for "normal" winter, so who knows this year. It human nature to believe the almanac when it is in our favor and to not when it is not in our favor...so lets sit back a month and hope for the best! [:)] Man, did I say a month? Thats way to long [:(]

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
SXViper,
http://www.johndee.com/forecast.htm has a little better sounding forecast for you. Yep weather forecasting is nothing but educated guessing based on what past weather has been like etc... Some of us will get a Great Winter, Some of us will get an average winter and some of us will get a bad winter. That's my edumacated guess. :) That's just what history shows. Since i have had the bad winters for the last umpteen years.. well ok maybe like 8 or 9 years i think the midwest is due. My count down to snow calendar is at 40 days. I started counting down on July 8th... So it's almost here.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Darkstar, That one is a bit better. I hope to be on my sled breaking in the pipes within a month. Cruising down a trail, dragging my feet to kick up snow on the hyfax. . . better than revving it in the garage!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Well we never can tell till the winter's over really. Last few years if I remember right they said that the winters would be colder and snowier around here. Have they been? Not a chance. Since 99-2000 we haven't had a real good winter around here, and even then the last GOOD one was 96. I'm just waiting and hoping...I'm thinking ONE of these years there's gotta be a turn around...maybe it'll be this one. We'll see.

·
Registered
567 Posts
here in Wyoming we had it snow in june an get up to 65 in i think febuary. and they said it was suposed to be just the oposite so i dont know. that and it usually snow the before halowween , hallowween day or the day after.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts