Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, being April 7 with not a trace of snow anywhere to be found in my area, I went sledding. We trailered about 3 hours north of here and discovered that there was about 2 inches of new snow on the lakes and trails.

We put on just over 150 miles, probably would have got more miles on except my buddy had a slight problem with his engine. Problem like pulling the rope and engine emits a knocking noise followed by the worst squealing noise I've ever heard. This is on a 2001 XC 500 SP with 3400 miles.

Anyway, so a guy with us with a 1993 XCR with 24000+ miles towed him back to the truck (about 30 miles) and me, my bro and another guy forged on. Where we ate lunch my buddy with the blown engine and the guy who towed him arrived with truck, we unloaded the '93 XCR and he came with use for a ride back to where my truck was.

I did have a period just off a lake where I thought my engine had blown to, as I was driving along about 7000 RPM, and they all of a sudden just dropped to like 5500. I stopped, checked the plugs which were a beautiful brown color (huge sigh of relief) put them back in and the machine ran again. That confused the hell out of me, but I drove anyway. It did it again shortly and then I was getting annoyed. Let it sit, fired it up, drove awhile, it died. I was looking around under my hood and we checked the fuel filter and there was so much crap in there my jaw dropped. So we sorta cleaned it out with alcohol (paper filters don't clean so well) and I made it back to the truck without any more trouble. I did try to keep the RPM's under 7000 just to keep fuel consumption down. Good thing it was warm or I may have leaned out and killed the engine.

Just a final note, on the lake I got my machine to bury the speedo again. I wish I had a camera of some sort so I could have a "speedo" pic like the ones posted in the Cool Stuff forum.

That is kinda long, but it was fun to get another ride in this year.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
hmm, no snow here, but at least someone can still enjoy it for the rest of us....oh and by the way p-man, i had more than just one beer for ya at the bar!

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent thank you. I don't drink and ride.

I drink AFTER riding

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Wow, if that had happend to me, I might not of been able to discover it in the field. My fuel filter is way in behind my air box, would of been real hard to see. Good call though.

So what kind of "alcohol" did you guys have w/you to clean the filter with, huh, huh???

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quite obviously not the kind you can drink, that would be such a waste to dump it on the snow!

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Polaris-Man:
Quite obviously not the kind you can drink, that would be such a waste to dump it on the snow!

[/quote]

LOL....indeed

2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Polaris-Man:

[/quote]

LOL!
I hear ya!

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I was suprised how good the lakes still were. On the inland trails, the snow was almost all gone by the time we returned, in the afternoon. Nice to get a nice last ride in though.

It's not how fast you go, but how much fun you are having.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
well, i guess yo could lick the snow after you poured your "alcohol" on the ground, just as long as there wasnt any yellow snow near it.

hmmm, i may have drank so much i am now retarded,,,,ah who cares, i shall have another

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I forgot to write this in my last post but when we were leaving from eating lunch i was letting my sled idle as i was kneeling on the back with my left knee and my right foot was on the end of my running board so Pman says hey check this out and hits the throttle and i wasn't expecting it so i fall on my ass and him and my buddy are laughing like crazy. It was quite amusing actually.

It's not how fast you go, but how much fun you are having.

·
Registered
128 Posts
LOL!
that's pretty funny, I can just imagine it.......hehe

'99 Arctic Cat Powder Special 600

1 - 15 of 15 Posts