Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride off trail. I have never owned a liquid cooled sled until this year. I have noticed the snow melts off the heat exchanger and then freezes to the outer sides of the tunnel. Then the track rubs on the frozen ice. Sounds like a tree limb stuck between the track and tunnel. Has anyone else seen this happen.

Dennis

[red]Moved to General by Erick[/red]

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Happens to me alot, but i never hear any sound. The ice just falls off the next time i go riding. Just pick up the back end of the sled and slam it on the ground before the next run. It usually falls right off. I worry more about ice build-up in the suspension than in the tunnel.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Please post in the proper forum.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
hmmm. It says "moved to general by erick" on the bottom. Yet shows up in bugs and glitches???

-Dean

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
it's not in bugs and glitches anymore. Give us some time to move the topics man.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slam it on the ground? Where I ride we are in 3-7 Feet of snow minimum. I would have to dig a hole before I could slam it on anything. We ride off trail. Long track only. The ice builds up and freezes on the full length of the tunnel. No way to get it out without a 4' long ice scraper. It is not just some snow in the suspension or light slush. I mean ICE. Frozen like a lake, ICE. Then it rubs on the track so bad that I am afraid it is going to take the lugs off my track. This never happened to me while riding a fanner.

Dennis

·
Registered
290 Posts
I had a 1989 Mach 1 that built up ice on the
Left front of the tunnel and made that noise.
I always took a hammer with me and broke the ice off when needed.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Umm. I thought most mountain sleds had heat exchangers runnning the length of the tunnel inside...

-Dean

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
my PS has the hoses going back to rear exchanger along tunnel, and w/ the "extreme deep" snow conditions we have had here this last 2 years.....ya right....ive never had a problem, if i could get that problem it would be a good sign for me...lots of snow...lol...what kinda sled u got neway?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the heat exchanger runs the full length of the tunnel. The problem is that the exchanger is about 12" wide and the tunnel is 17". The snow freezes to the 2.5 inches between the exchanger and the tunnel sides. Full length. I ride a 2002 summit 144". I don't have any overheating problems and everything seems to be working good other than the ice problem. We ride off trail all day long so there is no place to bang the sled over some mogals to shake it loose. It just keeps on building up until a solid block of frozen ICE lines the tunnel and the sides of the tunnel.

Dennis

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Out here most of the guys are going long track. I rode a short track 136" for about 10 years and thought I would go to 144". Even the 144" incher is a short track out here. 151" 156" and even some 159" is the norm. I have never heard them talk about ice buildup before, but I did see a guy on a Mountian Max Jamming a long stick up the tunnel of his Yamaha. I thought he must of been a proctologist trying to fix a sick yamaha. Hehe. :) Maybe he had an ice problem too.

Dennis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts