Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I went ice fishing, it was pretty cold out so I wanted to get the hole drilled quickly. So I start drilling and get down about a foot and a half and start seeing the ice changes to a black color. 30 minutes later when Im lying on my stomach still drilling through the ice the water finally bursts up. There was 4 1/2 feet of ice on this lake! Anyone ever experience anything like that? Damn was a good workout anyways.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I know what you mean,we have a lot of ice here on P.E.I. to,i cant emagine being able to go fishing the first of may.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yup, I fished on Sat. It was absolutely, beautiful out 40 F no wind. Got a nice tan (burn) on my face.

But we sank the drill all the way to the motor on every hole! Almost needed the extension.

·
Registered
44 Posts
We've got about 3 feet here...(Lake Nipissing, North Bay, ON) have to use the extensions on the auger. When you first start out your hands are damn near above you're head. I couldn't imagine doing it manually. Ugh!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heh yeah I almost had to get the extension too. Some lakes around here have tons of ice and some of them you are opening up water, its pretty weird.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
all has to do with depth and current... Alot of the lakes around here took a long time to freeze because the end of the summer was so warm that it took forever to cool all that water.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i dont know bout around here, i havent been fishing since bout december, but im betting over 3 feet if not 4 feet of ice

·
Registered
502 Posts
I was just fishing on Lake of the Woods and we had to use extensions this weekend. There is a good 48" of ice. Took a long time to drill 4 holes.
On the bright side I caught a 6 1/2 pound walleye and proally 75 little 4" walleyes. Kept 12 between 14 and 19 inches. Also caught 6 perch that were pretty good size and a few northerns. Had a blast just sitting in the house all day, looking down a hole in the ice and drinking beers with a good buddy.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Originally posted by rocket
[br]Had a blast just sitting in the house all day, looking down a hole in the ice and drinking beers with a good buddy.
Ya can't beat it! [;)]

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Originally posted by rocket
[br]I was just fishing on Lake of the Woods and we had to use extensions this weekend. There is a good 48" of ice.
On the bright side I caught a 6 1/2 pound walleye and proally 75 little 4" walleyes. Kept 12 between 14 and 19 inches.
I was up at the Lake of the Woods about a month ago and the ice was pretty thick at that time. We usually rent a day house from Andersons Lodge(?) so we weren't drilling any holes. My buddy caught a nice 5pounder as seen here:

/snofan/../images/users/pigboy/lad~eye~feb 032.jpg

I was up Tofte Lake near the Ely/BWCA, a few weeks ago. The ice was two feet thick. My friend caught a nice 19 inche splake as seen here:

/snofan/../images/users/pigboy/tofte lake2.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts