Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here use ice scratchers? I'm putting a set of rail mounts on tonight. Going to remove the front outer bogies. Should mean the lose of a couple pounds and some rolling resistance.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Alright...judging by the fact no one has replied (and I like to see us help) I'm gonna say that you've "got us" when you say ice-scratchers (you got me, at least). Can you be more specific? Maybe I just know them by a different name (or maybe I'm a moron) ;-)

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I don't use them. They are a stiff wire if you will that "scratches" the snow down by the rails. They are supposed to spray chips of ice/snow onto the rails to help lubricate the sliders. I could have used them last year. Went out one morning and rode about 60 miles -10F. Day before had gone to 30F. Groomer went out and trail was HARD! Started to feel like sled was dogging bad. More throttle less response. Stopped and smelled burning plastic. Had to cool things down and then it was OK to go.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a pic of the rail mount version like the ones I've installed (this isn't my picture). You can also get ones that mount underneath the runningboards. Like Offshore24 said, they throw up snow on the hyfax and coolers when running on hard pack.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Flange I'm gonna put a set on my T-Cat, I have it set up in the short track geometry which leaves a lot of rail with no bogies so I am hoping it will extend the Hyfax life a little, and maybe help with cooling when there isn't much snow. A bunch of guys I know use them on thier mountain machines when they have to ride on the rivers where the snow may be blown off for miles. They seem to work good.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I installed mine last Sunday. Looks identical to the picture I posted. They are bolted on pretty much where the front bogies were. I guess I'll have to remember to use them...and put them up when loading!

·
Registered
553 Posts
I was also thinking of putting these on but will they dig and pull up say grass and weeds in a ditch thats really packed? Or say not that deep of fresh snow. I guess what im getting at is, are they sping loaded and get pushed to the ground or do you set them for height?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are spring loaded. The only way to really set the tension would be to drill the front hole lower.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I saw a set in the new SnowTech mag that attach to the skis instead of the chassis. When not needed they just hangup on the ski edge. Would you think that would provide better coverage on the whole track? Don't the skid nounted ones have limited coverage? Like from where they are attached on back instead of the entire slider length?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Starting Line products makes the ones that attach to the skis.

here's a link to a good article on the ones that attach to the skid.

http://www.off-road.com/snowmobile/reviews/2001/hrpscratchers/

According to the article they will blind the riders behind you. Sounds like something they should have on the james Bond Skidoo sled[8D]

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I picked up a set from Mountain Performance, nice and light. I hope this will make up for my short track geometry and a 151" track. Lots of rail hanging out there with no wheels.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Now that this post has got me thinking, I passed the idea onto a friend with an 03 600 Rev. Last March he had his coolant temp idiot light come on every mile or so on aour last ride. My Poo had no problems. Besides suggesting to him that he get the dealer to check his sled out, I suggested he gat a set of scratchers for his skis for this year. His track isn't studded, mine is. His sled isn't a Polaris, mine is.[;)]

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I would get the scratchers that go on the rails not the skis. The skis are to far from the track IMO to do much good. Just my $.02

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tend to agree. At least you know the scratchers mounted on the rails are spraying snow directly on the rails and track. I'm not sure how effective ski mounted scratchers would be.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
check out the link in my previous response. The rail ones mount 1/2 way down the rali length and spray snow all over the place. if this is the case, wouldn't it be good to have snow spraying all over the place 2' in front of the track? My buddies problem is cooling not hyfax wear. So I thought maybe if he got some loose stuff picked up by the track it would help cooling. I don't know for sure. P.S. - my hyfax melted bad one morning last year and his didn't. So cooling the sliders isn't what he needs to worry about, I do. Maybe i should get some....

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Holz are by far the most popular around this area. My dealer has the runningboard mounts too, but for the life of me I can't remember the brand name. I'll be back in there on Saturday so I'll try to remember to look. Frankly, I don't like the runningboard type. When your surfing through the deep stuff, even with the scratchers retracted, I can see them hanging up in the snow.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
The ones I got are made by Mountain Performance. They are very similar except for the way the spring tension is achieved. They have a small bracket that needs to be down against the Hyfax instead of running the spring through a hole in the rails. Other than that they look identical.
The instructions I have say to mount up front and have the end rest on the front wheel attachement. The Yamaha rails must be a little different than the ones on my Cat since I would have to mount them on were the bolt holding the rail end on is to use that position. Looks like the Holz work just fine mounted further back so I think thats what I am going to do.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I was going to put a set of the MP ones on this year but WE WILL NOT HAVE A NO SNOW PROBLEM THIS YEAR!!! It will snow 6 to 12 inches every Thursday night starting the first week in Nov, yes I don't want snow until the lakes and rivers get nice and hard before we get alot of snow.

I can dream right[:D]

·
Registered
246 Posts
By the way the rail mounted ones work very well I know a few riders that run them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts