Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The heat exchanger on my 91 Ski-doo Mach 1 works well, that is until it cools down in the tunnel and forms f*^&%# glaciers! Is there anything I can do to stop this ice from forming? Maybe a spray of some kind? Someone had mentioned Teflon spray... I don't know? Please help,

James[xx(]

·
Registered
190 Posts
You could try WD-40, it will help keep it from sticking and it does melt snow/ice also. I bought a gallon and a plastic spray bottle for cheap.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
how bad is the ice? if its not real bad just lift up the back end of your sled and drop it down hard and most will fall off, and once it heats up again it will fall off neway

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WD-40 will probably work temporarily, but I'd like to have a more permanent solution. Thanks for the suggestion though. What about a rubber coating? Would this harm anything? Would it work?

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Teflon tape maybe? I don't know how well it would hold up though. You would probably have to use an additional adhesive to keep it on. I think the tape is pretty expensive too. Also try cooking spray, I use it on my snowblower to keep the auger and chute ice and snow free and it works great.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
let the sled sit and idle for a few minutes before you shut it down, that should help....

·
Registered
53 Posts
ever try spraying tire shine foam?? works slick as grease and is also good for all rubber componants track,seals,etc imyself spray it on every thing ie; cv joint boots,shock boots,and also in the wheel wells of our road vehicles prevents that icy slush buildup hope it helps

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ice on the exchanger is a part of the cooling system. What is it hurting? Just pick up the tail and drop it a few times when you park it and when you start out.

G

·
I have the same problem with my Summit. ICE. Really hard ice, frozen along side of the heat exchanger. Nothing I have found for a fix either. I just let it build up and take it to the car wash after riding it and blast it out with hot water. Banging it on the ground is just a waist of time and back muscles. Nothing is gunna knock that ice loose. Believe me, I have tried, everything.

D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spaceman...thanks for the advice but I'm talkin' glacier ice blocks that won't budge!
Help...!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I use NuFinish teflon car wax on my van,
and when ice sheets onto it, all it takes is a few gentle hits on the vehicle and it slides off real nice.

I've never tried it in my tunnel before, but I think I might, sounds like a good idea.

If you want to go all out, have your tunnel clear-coated, that should make it hard for the ice to stick.

Let us know what you tried, and how it worked once the snow flies...ah...tomorrow...yeah...spozda be 2 feet by morning...ah sorry, got a little out hand day dreaming there..[;)]

·
Registered
266 Posts
Wow this sounds way more serious than I thought!!!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Does the sled overheat? If not i wouldnt worry about it unless the ice gets so thick it wont let the track rotate. You could try any spray on type stuff as long as its not some sort of a rubber coating. Thick coatings will hurt the heat transfer and may end up causing the engine to overheat.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for all of the help with my icy situation. I think a thick coating may not be the wisest decision, I don't want to harm anything afterall. Maybe cooking spray will do the trick. Yeah, I think I'll try it...keep ya posted! Thanks again!

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I still think that if you let the sled idle for a while, the ice will drop out or get soft enough to bang out by dropping the rear once or twice....

G

·
Yep,
Glacial ICE. I have the same problem with my Summit. NO amount idle time and banging on the ground is gonna budge that stuff. It rubs on my track and makes a terrable noise. I just gave up and let it build up until I can get to the car wash. I have to melt my sled off after each day. The problem is the exchanger is only about 13" wide and the tunnel is about 17" wide. The margin between the exchanger and the sides of the tunnel is where it freezes on. I suspect some sort of lubricant would grease it down for a little while but it will just wash off and the ice will freeze on again.
The exchanger melts the snow and then it runs to the edges and freezes.

Kinda of a poor setup. I like the polaris exchanger system better.

D

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Last year when we were riding in -35 degrees (celcius) and in 3 feet of powder, our tunnels were packed with ice and snow. We'd have glaciers in the tunnel without stopping because it was so cold out. We all found the best way to clear it out was to find a nice big hill [:D] When the sled hits the ground from 5 feet up that ice comes out without any trouble.

Biggest problem was first thing in the morning, half the machine's tracks wouldn't turn due to ice. Letting them idle for a long time then pounding them on the ground did work for us, but I guess we are just lucky, by the sounds of things, doesn't seem to work for anyone else.

I have never had to spray my sleds at a car wash, after riding I just park behind my house, before I leave the next day I jack the back end up and spin the track. Then when I leave go over some bumps and all this ice shakes loose and makes a terrible noise as it rolls at the front of the tunnel. Drive like 100 feet and it falls out.

G

·
The polaris exchangers are positioned one at the far tail end of the tunnel and through the running boards. The rest of the tunnel is open. Ski doo runs there exhanger the full lenght of the tunnel. The snow melting from the exchanger melts and runs to the edges of the tunnel and freezes. The polaris guys I ride with never seem the have the ice problems that I do.

D

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Neither of my Polaris' have the exchanger in the the tunnel. They are under the running boards and one in front of the track. Never have had a problem with ice that wasn't able to be removed by lifting the back end and dropping a few times.

G

·
Ace,
Yep, I am not familiar with all the Polaris models. The only Polaris sleds out here are RMK 700 and 800's. They run the coolant through the running board to an exhanger way back at the tail end of the tunnel. Pretty good setup. I have seen some of the older xlt sleds with an exhanger at the front of the tunnel and coolers on the running boards.

D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts